FACEBOOK Crashing down 33%

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Getting even worse for FB. Lawsuits are being filed by many states, investors, hedge funds, etc.. Basically everyone who bought stock is sueing facebook.
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/fury-over-facebook-ipo-grows-lawsuits-mount-150039330.html
I like the first comment
Nothing new here. When a majority of the population considers Dancing With the Stars and Keeping up With The Kardashians valuable entertainment, throwing money away on a traud IPO because it was well-hyped was the logical outcome. Just shows how shallow and stupid our population has become.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Nah I see the IPO going down to $9 like most analyst that aren't on the take predict. Once they fix that and do damage control they should survive but might go the way of myspace if someone else jumps in with a better system. There definetely at their most vulnerable point they've been in like 5 years. The problem is most of their client base are kids so they need to figure out a way to extract money from the kids parents thru the kids.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Also I wanna point out their client base I feel is way over estimated. As I said in a previous post I finally got on it a month ago to check up on someone and looked at all the people of my past. Many had FB accounts but were abandoned and not being used anymore. Some were even dead.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
They shouldn't need to *estimate* their customer base. If they want to know how many "real" customers they have, they can establish what they consider "real" ; i.E. logs in every day, logs in every week, etc. and search their own database with this filter. I'm sure they have this capability. If they are counting every single account then they are either being purposely misleading or it's in the fine print somewhere.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
They shouldn't need to *estimate* their customer base. If they want to know how many "real" customers they have, they can establish what they consider "real" ; i.E. logs in every day, logs in every week, etc. and search their own database with this filter. I'm sure they have this capability. If they are counting every single account then they are either being purposely misleading or it's in the fine print somewhere.
They count everyone dead or alive, active user or haven't logged on in 2 years.

Oh well, I imagine that the universe will retain its cosmic alignment even if Farcebook and Twatter implode, though I imagine the data mining community wouldn't be particulaly amused at such a development.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Oh well, I imagine that the universe will retain its cosmic alignment even if Farcebook and Twatter implode, though I imagine the data mining community wouldn't be particulaly amused at such a development.
Yah they would thats their main competition. I used to be a dataminer and mailing lists and data are big biz. As my project I had to catalog every nursing home, doctor, hospital, hospice, asst. living facility, and pharmacy in the country. Took forever but I did it. Got names, phone numbers, addresses, contact names, services, etc... Facebook and Twatter couldn't do that.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The userbase count depends on who your trying to impress. Look at our own user database. I figure facebook is like forums ... where I catagorize the users as "one and done", lost interest (no activity in more than 90 days), lurkers (sign on regularly but don't post), casual posters (those with less than the average post per day), active posters (those with more than the average + less than 2 d posts), and hyperactive posters (those that exceed the average + 2 d).

If anyone has a better way to describe forums and facebook, I'm all for it.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
14 years old and talking about smoking pot, drinking herself to sleep, skipping school and getting high with her mom,, etc.. I was stunned.
All that is not because of FB. Those subjects, that make you feel stunned are the same they have in their conversations face to face. Difference seems to be that they care much less if they publish them in FB.

Exhibitionism appears as a characteristic of current times but it is not. In the past people had just radio and TV for that and access was rather limited. Dou you remmeber the first Big Brothers?

My daughter opened an account in FB for me to be able to see pictures during a voyage he did. Since I am not interested in being public or expose myself I just learnt to sign on and that is all to it. LinkedIn became also a stupid invasive way to bring advertising to my email. If I could remmeber how to access my account I would try to cancell it.

From all the people I know, no one got any benefit from that.

Albeit half (or more) of the population use those networks I consider them kind of junk and waste of time.

Life is too short and the sole asset you cannot recover is time.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
LinkedIn became also a stupid invasive way to bring advertising to my email. If I could remmeber how to access my account I would try to cancell it.

From all the people I know, no one got any benefit from that.
I thought LinkedIn was a total waste of time, until yesterday. I was able to get an interview through my contacts on there.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Share price alone doesn't really mean much. Facebook's price is diluted by 2.74 billion shares, vs only 259 million shares of Google. Facebook is trading at 50.23 times earnings vs 11.86 for Google. Market cap is 89.30 billion on 39.99 billion Enterprise Value for FB and 195.88 billion on 158.7 billion Enterprise Value for Google.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Share price alone doesn't really mean much. Facebook's price is diluted by 2.74 billion shares, vs only 259 million shares of Google. Facebook is trading at 50.23 times earnings vs 11.86 for Google. Market cap is 89.30 billion on 39.99 billion Enterprise Value for FB and 195.88 billion on 158.7 billion Enterprise Value for Google.
I understand what your saying but Google and FB aren't even in the same leagues. Google is a productive biz that makes money in many many many arena's from phones, OS's, mail, web hosting, PPC, datamining, VOIP, youtube, and if you count gmail accounts have a much larger userbase. And that not even counting their mapping software and crawler. Where as facebook basically has half the users they claim, and no proven way to turn that into actual money like google has. And has suffered such bad publicity over this IPO launch they might not even recover because of how many people are pissed off they went Big Brother. Like I said and you said FB's shares are so high its so diluted the only think keeping the stock into double digits is the banks buying back the stock people are selling off. Everyone seems to thinkg $9 is the buy price for FB. Not to mention the illegal stuff going on with them changing the numbers over the weekend after launch and then just informing preferred clients and not the public. The 1%ers found out Sat. The public found out Wed. I'm really excited to see what happens, as everyones saying this is a first for the stock market. NASDAQ's, FB, all the underwriters, and everyone involved with the ipo launch is getting class action law suits filed against them every couple minutes all around the world.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Bill,

I wonder how much the moderator duties increased your numbers the past year or so.

The hyperposter could be a good thing ... as both you and Wookie spent a very large number of postings helping people over the years. I have nothing negative about hyperposters. They are a good group of people.

You may have tapered off on your postings, but it will take a long time to drop your daily average down to lose the well deserved moniker of hyperposter. Maybe it's time to create a couple of certificates ... one for the good hyperposters and one for the PITA hyperposters. I hope I'm not in the latter group. :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't know. Fact is, before I was a moderator I had more time to help, and posted more for members to help. I have a lot less time for our users now, but I post a part of my duties about the same, if not slightly more. I think it may work out about the same overall. To some extent this is why I was offered the position, I spend way too much time here.

The other side is that is what passes for humor for me, along with sarcasm. Not a pretty mix, usually caused by extreme lack of sleep. Seems to be a problem for me lately.

I knew spam was a problem, but it is astounding how much it is.