extreme beginner help

tybomb

Joined Jan 23, 2007
Thats funny. I just got back from the store and those are the two parts I bought. I was really taking a risk (well a $10.00 risk) because I wasnt sure if they would work. It's confusing for a beginner because you have little chance of finding the exact same thing as in the schematic. There's always a couple initials missing or something. I figured as long as the basic numbers and name match it was worth the risk.
By the way. I tried out the CES machine for about 10 minutes the other day. It hurts a bit and it left some contact burns on my ears (probably need gel or something) but I can say that it relieves anxiety and the effect seems to last for day's. I didnt experience and psychodelic trips like some people claim but it does make you dizzy and causes flashing lights in you peripheral vision. No adverse side effects yet. I better stick close to home for the next few days or at least write my name and address on my hand.

tybomb

Joined Jan 23, 2007
I dont think I own any heavy machinery. I definetly wouldnt recommend walking around with this thing on though. You'll end up in jail for public intoxication. lol.
I soldered two pennies on to wires for the electrodes but I dont think they're working well. If I press them together the light blinks once per two seconds but it's very dim. If I put them on my ears the light stays bright and doesnt blink. I have to keep taping the wire to slot 2 on the Decade Counter to get it to pulse. I had it working better before but since then I took it apart and put it together again and now I'm using another set of penny electrodes I just made that I thought were better. I'm not really sure why it doesnt pulse though unless the pennies are pressed together?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Are you sure you have the potentiometer connected according to the initial schematic, and not the other connection you found somwhere?
I still have a feeling you have it wrong.

You have to connect the middle pin of the pot to one of the rest two pins, and the third goes to the electrode. Nothing is connected to ground.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
....If I press them together the light blinks once per two seconds but it's very dim......
Are you referring to the light on board or the imaginary one you see in your head:D .

All seriousness aside, kubeek's question is a valid one. In one of your posts your drawing indicated that one end of the pot was connected to ground. This is definitely contrary to the original schematic as kubeek noted.

I have provided a crude sketch of the method of connecting the potentiometer so that it acts like a variable resistor. Once it is wire as shown you will have a two terminal component. One end connects to the 15K resistor and the other end is connected to your ear. Which end you connect to your ear determines whether the variable resistor increases with a clockwise adjustment of the pot or a counter-clockwise adjsutment of the pot.

Sorry if this is confusing. What am I saying. Hell, probably everything is confusing now that you have had your first treatment.

hgmjr

Attachments

tybomb

Joined Jan 23, 2007
Lol I did have it hooked up wrong in the beginning but it worked. A little too well. THen I soldered it on to a board and couldnt get it to work anymore. I think I ruined the decade counter somehow. Not suprising since it was my first attempt at soldering. I bought a new one and hooked the whole thing up on the bread board again with the pot done properly this time and it works great! Before when I had it working it was way too strong. Probably due to the pot being hooked up incorrectly. It hurt like hell but it sure cleared my head. lol. Now it's much more relaxing.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I'm proud of you. You have made yourself a guinea-pig for a new medical treatment. I think you can apply for inclusion in a medical journal.

I sincerely hope you haven't triggered a steep descent into Alzheimers.

hgmjr

tybomb

Joined Jan 23, 2007
I'm jusut trying to get clear on this whole Pot thing. Are you guys saying that it should be hooked up this way? And if it's reversed then it will still work the same except the nob should be turned in the opposite direction?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I would like to ditto kubeek's reply.

Is the look on your model's face typical of anyone who is hooked up to your CES machine?

hgmjr