External laptop sound processing

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So I got this Laptop (an HP, running on Windows 10) and out of the blue, while listening to music, it made a strange sounding noise through the speakers, and then a buzz.... and a buzzz... and it's still buzzzzzzzinnnnngggg...
I can control the volume up and down, and even mute it, but the only sound I get out of it is a buzz, no matter if I'm listening to things through its internal speakers, or if I connect a pair of USB speakers. The buzz is still the same.

So here's my question, is there a way to add an external sound processor (soundcard) to my LAP? Something that could bypass its internal sound processing unit, so that I could listen to my beloved music again. I don't want to take it for repairs, since its warranty has expired, and it would probably be best to live with it instead of going through all the hassle and expense.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That is cool! I would get that one.

I will be a lot of people are too young to know what it represents.

You reminded me of my old lab coat that I miss. When I was in school our teacher always wore a lab coat. He had some source and would order one for all of the students, cheap.

Mine said GE Tubes on the pocket. I was going to a tech school as part of my high school. It had a bunch of other classes including cosmetology. One day a cute girl walked up to me, staring at my chest. She said to me "Oh GE Tubes, I thought that was your name"! I wish I could say I ended up marrying the girl. But that day forward I never confused cosmology with cosmetology again. She was no rocket scientist. :eek:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's here! I finally got my Tube Delight external sound card!

index.jpg

It works perfectly, and it's got the coolest fade-in, fade-out blue LED that changes intensity according to the sound level.

Wanna hear something silly? When I unplugged the thing to put it away, my laptop's sound system suddenly started working again! :eek: This is completely idiotic... it's like somehow the internal soundcard's circuitry had gotten stuck, and plugging in another audio device fixed the problem! :confused:

Now I've got the coolest-looking, most useless external sound card in town... Emoji Smiley-53.png ... oh well, I guess that at least I'll know what to do next time my lap's sound goes bunkers on me...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That thing is very cool. My brother did ham radio way back when and would really get a kick out of that. On the other hand I'm flying tomorrow and can just imagine the glances I would get firing that think up in 24B.