Exotic propulsion

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sandia was playing with an idea to tether a satellite in space which would generate static electricity and harness this power. This was what I was referring to.
It's not really static electricity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrodynamic_tether
Electrodynamic tethers (EDTs) are long conducting wires, such as one deployed from a tether satellite, which can operate on electromagnetic principles as generators, by converting their kinetic energy to electrical energy, or as motors, converting electrical energy to kinetic energy.[1]Electric potential is generated across a conductive tether by its motion through a planet's magnetic field.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Close, look up space elevators.. but that was always cool to me too. Again none of this is “free” but I’m pretty happy with solar power also

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Oh what’s Sputnik? They’re still playing with the idea. My brother in law is at Sandia and I get to hear about some interesting things.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Oh what’s Sputnik? They’re still playing with the idea. My brother in law is at Sandia and I get to hear about some interesting things.
Yea, they do some really cool stuff with a good scientific basis. They did tests on a EMdrive device and dropped it (no clear evidence) like a pile of dog crap after looking at the evidence.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Sometimes it’s a priority based decision... they have limited resources too. Also need to have higher chance at commercial success. So they dedicate tons of resources modeling tire tread and materials for tire manufacturer or structural and friction modeling for Lockheed Martin and trying to optimize solar power... if it gets closer to reality I’m sure they’ll all jump onboard. Like reusable rockets. I’m sure everyone’s on board. No one wants to be first... too many risks.

We all do similar prioritizing... but no reason to put it down

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sometimes it’s a priority based decision... they have limited resources too. Also need to have higher chance at commercial success. So they dedicate tons of resources modeling tire tread and materials for tire manufacturer or structural and friction modeling for Lockheed Martin and trying to optimize solar power... if it gets closer to reality I’m sure they’ll all jump onboard. Like reusable rockets. I’m sure everyone’s on board. No one wants to be first... too many risks.

We all do similar prioritizing... but no reason to put it down
It they verified it would have been the biggest physics discovery in modern history. They didn't dump it because of limited resources or scheduled priorities. They dumped it because the science wasn't there.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
"Extraordinary clams require extraordinary evidence".

That's too finalistic in nature. A better view i think is this:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary experimentation".

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
New exotic propulsion subject. Let the guys who came up with the impossible engine prove it. Move on.

Can we discuss the MPD magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters? It requires less fuel and may increase space travel by factor of 11 compared to current engines.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
"Extraordinary clams require extraordinary evidence".

That's too finalistic in nature. A better view i think is this:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary experimentation".
No, did you really think that through? Experimentation is one process in the goal of finding evidence. That's like saying we don't need evidence of guilt, only long elaborate trials while keeping you locked in jail forever.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
New exotic propulsion subject. Let the guys who came up with the impossible engine prove it. Move on.

Can we discuss the MPD magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters? It requires less fuel and may increase space travel by factor of 11 compared to current engines.
That seem's to be promising technology for near vacuum micro-gravity thrust. Using it to actually lift a rocket from the surface doesn't seem likely for several reasons. The high specific impulse charged particles in dense atmosphere would short circuit the engines as soon those particles reached (very short free mean paths) reactive (like oxygen) molecules. The thermal energy generated would likely melt the rocket from the Ohmic and secondary electron effects.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That seem's to be promising technology for near vacuum micro-gravity thrust. Using it to actually lift a rocket from the surface doesn't seem likely for several reasons.
You hit it on the head there. You are talking lift-off to space, and me and I assume others are talking space travel, to other planets or even solar systems. None of my replies have been related to getting into space just traveling after we get to space.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You hit it on the head there. You are talking lift-off to space, and me and I assume others are talking space travel, to other planets or even solar systems. None of my replies have been related to getting into space just traveling after we get to space.
Are you serious or just playing dumb?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
No, did you really think that through? Experimentation is one process in the goal of finding evidence. That's like saying we don't need evidence of guilt, only long elaborate trials while keeping you locked in jail forever.
Yes i did and i still hold it as well said.

The original quote makes it sound like the evidence is already there which may be faulty.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I like the part where they say that MPD thrusters could take a month off travel time to Mars. The 1 megawatt version produces 100 Newton’s nowhere near what we need for launch. I’m guessing they plan on using solar to generate power or is nuclear a possibility.