Exciting new battery chemistry?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It's been a while since I did any homework on advancements in battery technology so I was quite surprised to learn that we can now fit 50kWh into something the size of a VHS cassette.

Don't know what I'm talking about? Just go to eBay and search "power banks."

Screenshot_20220620-090045_eBay.jpg
900AH, 3,000AH, even 10,000AH (with solar option only).

Imagine how stupid Elon and Tesla feels now that the Chinese can replace their EV battery packs with pocket sized USB power banks.

So amaze! So excite!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It's been a while since I did any homework on advancements in battery technology so I was quite surprised to learn that we can now fit 50kWh into something the size of a VHS cassette.
BREAKING: Authorities in NYC tell Reuters they know believe the explosion that leveled three city blocks was not tied to terrorism as originally expected. Instead they now believe it was caused by a faulty 10000000000mAh "power bank". A representative of the Mayor's office made an impassioned plea to New Yorker's saying "please, if you are going to buy cheap power banks online, do your homework. Not all of them are fake, if you get a real one you are not only a danger to yourself but to the whole city".

Elon Musk was unavailable for comment but earlier in the day had tweeted "Did anyone catch the link for those power banks?"

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Usually these lies have some traceability back to an intentionally misconstrued truth, like in the case of your "7HP" 120V shopvac which might theoretically draw 43A of inrush current @ -273°C according to simulation/FEA, so I am curious if that's the case here or if it's just a complete fabrication. What attribute might be vulnerable enough to allow such an inflated claim? Maybe lifetime charge/discharge cycles?

According the link @nsaspook posted:
I bought a 9,000,000mAh power bank from eBay [...] and discharge tests showed that it was indeed a 10,000mAh cell
9,000,000mAh / 10,000mAh = 900
900 cycles seems like a believable number if they have decent battery management.
I suspect their "gun-to-the-head" justification would be that 9,000,000mAh is what you can expect it to deliver over the course of its whole life, with normal use.