Excel Spread Sheet - For Personal Finances

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Anyone have a customized spread sheet they can share?

My post retirement requires a tracking of current expenses if I decide to go part-time until I collect my Social Security and work on my Thesis.

kv

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Anyone have a customized spread sheet they can share?
A spread sheet customized for someone else isn't likely to be very helpful to you.

I wrote one that lets all expenses be entered with up to two categories. The second category is mainly for medical so I can extract dental, vision, and medical expenses separately. For itemizing, I use the entry description to further group the data. All my Wife has to do is enter the data (that's a problem for her because we never budgeted before I retired) and select appropriate categories. I had to implement pick lists for categories because she kept misspelling or making up her own.

I'm disciplined about entering expenses the day I incur them, or shortly thereafter. My Wife will wait a month or three and entering the data becomes a tedious task. The medical is what's really important because I itemize for state taxes. I have to count on her entering medical data because HIPAA prevents me from seeing the insurance claims she has and she doesn't disclose most of her medical conditions to me. Me, I'm an open book; I share everything (and she wishes I wouldn't)...

I have a bar chart that tracks the main spending categories per month. I make a table of the main categories by month and show the totals per month and the year, with monthly averages, and I have bars in the boxes where we tend to over spend so my Wife can see how she's doing with our "budget".

To simplify the macros, I keep a file for each year.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I used one for MS Excel. off the Vertex42 LLC site.
You can adapt it accordingly.
They have several Templates/layouts for different causes.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I figured there would be one that can be added to, I’m usually able to do that but I am in no means a Excel expert. I kind of thought they might have them according to ones need like Word.

I’ll get on my computer, right now working from my Ipad, I have the suite.

kv