Exam Project - Led Dot Matrix (7x5)

Thediabloman

Joined Mar 11, 2008
Hello Everyone:D

I have just begun on my exam project, and would like a little guidance..
I want to make a row of Dot Matrix's(7x5), where I can enter a text, and then see it scroll across the dot matrix's.

I want a row of 1x10, and could really use some help, to the schematic, programming, and what parts to use.

- Thediabloman -

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We do help, but you need to understand that we don't do the work for you. It's your project - spend some time learning how the hardware works and how to make a message appear. From that, you should be able to see how to scroll it.

Show us some work (schematics, program listings) and we'll try to help out.

Thediabloman

Joined Mar 11, 2008
I'm sorry if you got the impression that I wanted you to do it for me..

My question was if I could get guidance.. I have printed almost 150 pages of text about LED-dot Matrixs, and I would just like to know what you would
recommend?

And actually I use all my free-time making a program in VB for this project.. No partying here my friends.. :D

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Try with one LED at a time. You make it move by lighting the one next to it, and turning the original one off. Holding the row selection and moving the column select should work.

Don't forget to understand the hardware requirements for driving the LED matrix. I would recommend that you select a LED matrix you like.

How are you planning to interface the computer to the LED matrix?

Thediabloman

Joined Mar 11, 2008
So now I have connected 7 pins from my PIC to the LED matrix, through transistors, to control the rows. I then placed a 74HC to run through all the colloums, which is clocked by the PIC. So how does a sample of code look like here?
If I want to make a dot go from one corner to another?

Pin 1 high - Clock 74HC
Pin 2 high - Clock 74HC and so on..

How would this look in asm?