Evaluation Board to Test performance of GAN Based Power Semi Conductors

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
Hello all,

I am working on 48 to 12V non isolated DC DC converter based on E mode GAN(HEMT's). I am looking for an evaluation board to test the performance of GAN based power semiconductors for automotive DC DC converter applications. Anyone who has worked in that domain and can recommend good literature to finalize evaluation board for my application.
Thanks

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
What vendor? for the GAN hemt.
What part number? Voltage? Current? Any information will help.
I am using high voltage GAN. At this time I am assembling my first low voltage GAN PCB. Only 100V. The layout is critical.

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
What vendor? for the GAN hemt.
What part number? Voltage? Current? Any information will help.
I am using high voltage GAN. At this time I am assembling my first low voltage GAN PCB. Only 100V. The layout is critical.
Well, i have not finalized power semi conductor which i will use in my application but generally it should be 80V or 100V GAN E mode HEMT since input voltage range is 36 v to 60 V with 48V nominal and considering 1.5 times safety factor and vendor will be either EPC or GAN Systems as i found some semi conductors there with interesting specs. For now the challenge i have to select the evaluation board to test the performance of GAN power semi conductors. Power rating of my converter is 1kw so output current should be 83A at nominal output voltage

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
analog devices
GAN Systems Look at this one. 100V parts.
Renesas I have not look at this one before. Might be a good choice.
Thanks for sharing. All three boards looks very interesting but problem is that i never worked on evaluation boards before and i already have this GAN systems 100V evaluation board but i dont have an idea from where i should start working on it in lab. Have you worked with this board before?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Have you worked with this board before?
Yes I have used evaluation boards. They are not exactly what you want but they are something. Turn it on and read the data that comes with it. (read first LOL) It is likely that you can make changes to the design to meat your requirements.
Have you worked with this board before?
I have not used that board. I make eval boards.

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
Yes I have used evaluation boards. They are not exactly what you want but they are something. Turn it on and read the data that comes with it. (read first LOL) It is likely that you can make changes to the design to meat your requirements.

I have not used that board. I make eval boards.
Could you please recommend any literature or tutorial vedio on how to start working in evaluation board in lab as its very first time for me working on evaluation board and i feel bit lost from where to start.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Book
Here is a book on line. I have a paper copy.
Google is your friend. Use it. Search for GaN applications notes. Read every thing you can find. Ask questions here to but you need to read what the transistor makers have on line.