Espressif ESP32 VS Microchip SAM

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Hi

Due to all component shortages I have been looking into alternatives to the Microchip WIN3400 + SAMD21J18A.

I came across the ESP32-WROVER-E.

I had look at the speciation in comparison and it seems they far more greater in performance and also lower in price.

I am also thinking, that even if I do not need WIFI on PCB, I could use these modules as Microcontroller.

Has anyone had experience with these device, in comparison to what is offered by Microchip?

I am currently using Microchip Studio, what IDE would you use for the ESP devices?

Thanks

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Still now I been using Microchip, but these seems to be next step up.

I would prefer to program with C, I have been reading that there is compatible FreeRTOS, which works as an OS.

Am I correct in understanding that ESP32 be used both with a OS or simple embedded C program?

My preference would go down the path of an OS, as it could handle all the underline timing etc and management.

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
What would be the main advantage of having an OS?

I am guessing it would require some memory resources.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The OS (in this case) provides realtime scheduling, timing, and intertask communications. If you write your own multiprocessing application, you have to deal with all of that. Using an RTOS frees you up to concentrate on the core functionality of your application not the housekeeping.

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
With my SAM device, I had simple case statement in Loop, which would give higher priority to important task. But RTOS seems to be a better choice.

Does am I correct in saying that Ardunio IDE and RTOS IDE will be two different?

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Great, I guess you can easily download all the sdks easily then.

I have seen some users also use VS code.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
JTAG debuggers do not depend on any software running on the CPU. For most debugging there will be something running, but if you are trying to debug a bootloader or dedicated embedded program with no serial communications, JTAG is needed.

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Well serial communication can always be added, but what JTAG device is compatible?

From what I am learning all the libraries are top level and you are not really in working on registry level as you would do with Microchip, so maybe serial could be enough.

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
There is a wide range of modules such as ESP8266 versions, are these still good to use or is the new ESP32 the path to go down?