Equivalent Inductance Within Multisim

Artificial_Spark

Joined Jul 2, 2017
Hello l am new to the board and to circuits in general. I have a problem that is stumping the entire class. The problem is a source free circuit calling for the correct equivalent inductance reading within multisim. I am able to work it by hand and have 45.5 mH as the correct value. Does anyone know the correct meter to use? I tried the multimeter but it didn't give me any readings. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
You can also try to find complex impedance and calculate inductance from it.
Or.
Find reactance and calculate inductance from it.

Does MultiSim provide tools to find these quantities?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So the problem, as stated, wants you to have Multisim give you the reading directly in Henrys?
Do you know how to have Multisim do calculations on measured values?

Artificial_Spark

Joined Jul 2, 2017
So the problem, as stated, wants you to have Multisim give you the reading directly in Henrys?
Do you know how to have Multisim do calculations on measured values?
I don't believe it has to be in Henrys. I found a older assignment with a AC source that used a voltmeter. The problem l have though is source-free.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The professor set the restriction to keep the circuit source-free. He only added the tip about it being a low-current measurement.
You have to have a source. Inductor is a Passive component. If there is no source, then there is no voltage, no current and nothing to measure. Remember Ohm's Law? It has three pieces, to find any one piece you HAVE TO KNOW the other two.

Artificial_Spark

Joined Jul 2, 2017
How are you going to have a "low current measurement" when there is no current?
Sorry l hit the posting limit. I'll ask him again but l had the same thought process as you and fully agree. He specifically outlined the conditions for solving the circuit using a test current from the device. That's why l tried the multimeter first. Apparently no one was able to solve it using a test current last semester either. They just took the hit on the grade.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello l am new to the board and to circuits in general. I have a problem that is stumping the entire class. The problem is a source free circuit calling for the correct equivalent inductance reading within multisim. I am able to work it by hand and have 45.5 mH as the correct value. Does anyone know the correct meter to use? I tried the multimeter but it didn't give me any readings. Thank you for your time.
Where are you being told that your test circuit has to be source free? The problem doesn't state that.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Ok. I think I see what crutschow is telling us.
I just ran the simulation in MultiSim (2001 textbook edition). I see some currents and voltages on the multimeter when multimeter set to have Ohmmeter current to 10 mA.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The professor set the restriction to keep the circuit source-free. He only added the tip about it being a low-current measurement. This means l'm only using the test current from the meter itself correct?
What meter? If the meter produces a test current, then it is doing so with a source and, hence, the circuit is not source-free.

Where is this test current coming from?

Why can't you use an AC current source to provide your test current?

Artificial_Spark

Joined Jul 2, 2017
What meter? If the meter produces a test current, then it is doing so with a source and, hence, the circuit is not source-free.

Where is this test current coming from?

Why can't you use an AC current source to provide your test current?
I thought the test current would come from the multimeter. That was my initial approach.