Equifax

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by joeyd999, Sep 12, 2017.

1. joeyd999

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Did I miss something over the past few days?

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Yes, we've all (most of the country anyway) just been screwed by Equifax's lack of proper encryption of our critical personal data.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If yo go to their sit to find ouf the compromised your data they they to get you toaccept binding arbitration. Real winners they are

cmartinez and GopherT like this.
  4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I know more government regulations are anathema to our conservative friends, but it does seem like there needs to be a more serious penalty for companies not protecting our personal data.
    Right now they have no particular reason to be concerned about that (other than some bad press that lasts for a few weeks).

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Also, some of their CEO's sold off big blocks of their personal stock after they found out about the leak but before the news was released to the public.
    Sounds like insider trading to me.

6. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    You seem to believe that pro-small government == anti-justice. Your assumption is incorrect. But we cannot debate that here.

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I see no particular relation between the two.
    But pro-small government advocate do seem to talk a lot about getting rid of "onerous" government regulations, which are the only things standing between me and corporate/Wall Street excess and monopoly.

shortbus likes this.
  8. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    I know.

9. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Then why did you say I did?

GopherT likes this.
  10. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
  11. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    I was agreeing that you don't see a relation. One exists, but likely not in the way you would assume. Whether conscious of it or not.

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    FWIW, they've had to backtrack on two issues:
    1) Signing up for their identity protection does not forfeit your rights in future class actions and
    2) You will not be automatically enrolled and charged for the service when the free year expires.

Maybe I'm a chump but I went ahead and signed up for the free monitoring. The confirmation process failed, though, because their servers are overloaded.

GopherT likes this.
  13. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    You can freeze/ unfreeze your credit reporting at the following links:

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp
    https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html#content-01
    https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securityFreeze/landingPage.jsp

This will prevent the opening of new accounts in your name.

killivolt likes this.
  14. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Conservative thought is not anti-regulation. Quite the opposite, actually. The law is incredibly important to protecting freedom and ensuring a free and functioning economy. It's the rules aimed at other goals such social engineering or other projects, often created and enforced without constitutional authority (I'm looking at you, EPA) that are abhorrent.

Equifax should cease to exist as a company, in my opinion. They committed a crime against half of all Americans that, if you or I did to a single person, might land us in prison. 143 million counts of that crime should add up to some pretty serious time in prison.

But, failing to protect against a hack is not quite the same as performing the hack itself. Leaving the bank vault door unlocked will never get the level punishment that removing stuff from the vault will get. And even the hack is not the same as seeking to profit off the stolen information.

15. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    That's a double edged sword. It costs money to freeze and freezing also prevents you from opening new lines of credit.

A better solution is for entities that expose your data to be held accountable for credit monitoring and repair for the lifetime of the affected individual; and to pay punitive penalties to the individual and the government (to pay for more oversight). To avoid liability, they need to show their breach couldn't have cause the problem.

16. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    I agree re penalties for their negligence, including their full responsibility for making harmed individuals whole.

The government can't even oversight itself. Make the consequences of lax security painful -- then they'll govern themselves.

Onerous regulations upon honest corporations and individuals (who wind up paying for the cost of the regulations) is not justice. It is anti-justice.

17. MrAl

Distinguished Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

Didnt they rescind that now? I hope so.
    What total jerks. The people responsible should be found and their credit should be diminished to zero. See how they like it.

18. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Better micro power FM TX s are available commercially. PM meif yo want help and point me the thread I can respond to.

19. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    As of 9/8, there is no waiver of rights:
    upload_2017-9-13_14-0-3.png

But they are still total jerks. They should handle our personal information more carefully and need to be held accountable.

A couple dozen Democratic lawmakers are seeking testimony from Equifax, a couple dozen class action lawsuits have been filed, and a GOP bill that would have limited liability for companies like Equifax in instances like this should be dead.

20. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I think "honest corporations" is close to an oxymoron, but that's another story. :rolleyes:
    So how do you have regulations to keep the "dishonest" corporations in line without putting it on the rest?

Sinus23 and shortbus like this.