.epub and .mobi versions of the e-book

SpringHalo

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I recently started reading the PDF version of the textbooks, and more recently than that obtained a Kobo e-reader. The PDF versions work fine on large, easily-zoomable devices like phones and PCs, but for smaller-screened devices (made specifically for reading) attempting to fit an entire page onto the screen leaves the text miniscule and difficult to read. My attempted conversions from PDF to epub have ended in disappointment, and I'd really like to read this on the go.

Has there been any consideration in generating official epub versions of the book for those of us using e-readers, and mobi versions for those using kindles?

Thanks.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Hello SpringHalo,

I'm glad you like the AAC textbook.

Unfortunately, there is no plan to convert to a true e-book format, at this moment.

I apologize for the inconvenience,
Georacer

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
While officially, there is no pan to create epub variants, you could always download the PDFs and convert them yourself.

There are PDF to epub converters out there. Here is one such site (I've never used this site).

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This doesn't always work. Depending on the .pdf text spacing and indentation the results can be from excellent to horrible.

SpringHalo

Joined Jan 23, 2014
This doesn't always work. Depending on the .pdf text spacing and indentation the results can be from excellent to horrible.
I originally attempted to do this using calibri, which converts it to HTML and then to epub, but as you said, line widths and breaks got quite befuddled and it was barely readable. what I have going now is the PDF, but with all whitespace cropped off using a little program called briss. it's better than the original, but the text still looks fairly miniscule on a 6" screen. I'll look further into converting it directly from source, but there's going to be a lot of first-time stuff involved.

Thanks for the reply.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I had given this procedure a try, after I got my Kindle. The .pdf files are not meant to be read in a 7'' screen, especially with mathematical content.

I gave up after a couple of days, not managing to produce any meaningful result. I'd be happy to hear that you came up with better results than I did.

When I attempted it, I remember that there was a 3rd party software that performed OCR-like processing to a pdf and this is how it cropped and rearranged lines and words. I don't remember it's name, though. It operated via a console window; it had no GUI.