Engine Power Consumption Analysis Help!

Helpless1234

Joined Oct 8, 2017
Hey Guys,

I'm participating in the 2018 SEM, and I'm trying to do some research, but i'm having some difficulties. I'm trying to learn how to calculate electric energy consumed for 2 revolutions of the engine, so I can make a plot of all components.
Can you teach me, or help me find some decent references to learn about them?
I'll be converting a small 4 stroke engine to EFI, so I assume I'll need to add a stater as well. I'm trying to learn how to find how much power is consumed by the ECU, MAP, Injectors, Spark Plugs, Starter, O2 sensor, TPS, and basically any other component that absorbs battery power.

And this is for an engine similar to the B&S Junior 206 or Honda GX35. In the competition we will turning the engine off, coasting, then turning it back on. The battery will be required to do this numerous times, but I need to be able to justify the batter, I am struggling!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I’d forget about a theoretical approach, which would be difficult and will need verification anyway, and focus my time on collecting data. Get a current monitor onto the battery and the various systems you need data for, and collect integrated (time-averaged) data. This may not be an easy challenge either, but at the end you’ll have trustworthy data.

Helpless1234

Joined Oct 8, 2017
Yea, thats the issue i have run into. I feel as if it wouldn't be that difficult, if I had the engine, but I need to do it before ai get the engine, so I just have to find other research, which has me in quite the conundrum.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yea, thats the issue i have run into. I feel as if it wouldn't be that difficult, if I had the engine, but I need to do it before ai get the engine, so I just have to find other research, which has me in quite the conundrum.
Other than googling your brains out, I have no better idea except perhaps to communicate with someone who might have the data already. Start asking around and finding people with experience.