Energy Harvesting Using LTC-3588 and Piezoelectric

Z'YonG

Joined Feb 2, 2017
Hi all, I want to build an energy harvesting circuit using LTC-3588 and piezoelectric. However, I am new to this area. I am wondering if anyone has done this before and can share their circuits and experience me? The LTC-3588 module and piezoelectric that I am using are below:

Piezoelectric.jpg
LTC3588.jpg

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Z'YonG

Joined Feb 2, 2017
Hi Sensacell, Thanks for the reply, I will look into different Piezo Disk. However, in any chance do you know how should I connect them with the LTC 3588? I am trying to build a circuit. Thank you.

Z'YonG

Joined Feb 2, 2017
I am also thinking of using Piezo Disk to recharge a battery. Does any of you have any experience about it and willing to share with me? Thank you.

Z'YonG

Joined Feb 2, 2017
But how much current can you draw from that? 'Very little' is the answer. It will take you forever and a day to charge a battery :(.
I need it to recharge the 6V batteries probably (4*AAA batteries), it doesn't have to have fast recharging speed. It will be used on a device that is continuous vibrating. The device will only be turn on about once per fortnight, a few minutes each time, which only consume very little power, what I want to do is to make sure the device can last long.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It will be used on a device that is continuous vibrating. The device will only be turn on about once per fortnight, a few minutes each time
What causes it to vibrate continuously?
Let's do some sums.
Assume each AAA cell has a 1000mAh (i.e. 1Ah) capacity. It therefore stores 1.5 x 1 Watt-hours of energy.
A vibrating piezo disc of the type shown will typically provide a few micro-Watts of energy.... let's be generous and say 10uW.
Therefore to charge one AAA cell fully using the piezo would take 1.5/10^-5 = 150000 hours = ~17 years. However, if your device is on only briefly and occasionally it should be possible to keep the cell 'topped up', providing the device average power consumption is less than the cell's continuous output.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015