Emitter-Follower Amplifier

Chinh Thuy Nguyen

Joined Dec 21, 2016
Hi everybody,
I'm meeting a trouble with Emitter-Follower Amplifier circuit. That is in two attached pictures.
What is the meaning of two capacitors that I highlight by the red circle?
As well as, what is the "self-trigger" in Amplifier circuit?
Thank you!
IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The first circuit does not have an emitter follower.
The second circuit has an emitter follower in the second stage.

The capacitors you have circled in red change the response at higher frequencies.

Is this homework?

Chinh Thuy Nguyen

Joined Dec 21, 2016
The first circuit does not have an emitter follower.
The second circuit has an emitter follower in the second stage.

The capacitors you have circled in red change the response at higher frequencies.

Is this homework?
Oh sorry, I have a mistake with the picture 1.
Yes this is my homework :)

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Do you know what RL means? In the 2nd circuit, if a capacitor is in series with RL, what can you say about the current seen by RL?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
In the first circuit, the common-emitter output stage has the DC bias point (DC gain) determined by R8, and the high frequency AC gain determined by R4 and C.
The low frequency corner for the transition from the DC gain value to the AC gain value is determined the the R4C time-constant.

In the second circuit Ci, Cc, Ce1 and Ce2 are DC block capacitors that pass the AC signal but block the DC bias voltages.
Ce1 bypasses the emitter of Q1 so that Q1's gain is maximum (not reduced by the degeneration effect of Re1).

Zeeus

Joined Apr 17, 2019
Hi everybody,
I'm meeting a trouble with Emitter-Follower Amplifier circuit. That is in two attached pictures.
What is the meaning of two capacitors that I highlight by the red circle?
As well as, what is the "self-trigger" in Amplifier circuit?
Thank you!
View attachment 117288 View attachment 117289
Nice...So in the first circuit, he's trying to invert the signal twice..Although why use current source as input? Isn't Rout of current high?

Same as second circuit..In the second stage, bias resistors (120k||20k) * 10 > beta * Rin(270 + 120 + re)..(This is not bad design?)

Thanks..was thinking about this before to make (invert twice)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

As a first approximation, look at all the capacitors as a short for AC analysis, and as a DC voltage source for DC analysis.
That will tell you what they are for qualitatively.
To get quantitative results you have to do a full analysis.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Don't understand
Below the R4C corner frequency it series impedance starts increasing and the gain is eventually determined by the value of R8 at DC.
At higher frequencies the impedance becomes equal to R4, which then determines the AC gain.

Zeeus

Joined Apr 17, 2019
The first image, the cap highlighted in red, please what's polarity?

Thought + side to emitter of q2 but after rethinking, think it's the other way around

what is it?

Thank you