Electronics

Quintessence

Joined Feb 20, 2005
Hi, I'm new to the fourms here,
I'd just like to explain a bit of a problem I am having...
I'm in a two year electronics program, and in my first year - second semester,
I'm not sure if electronics is truely for me, all concepts I find hard, and need to work at it ALOT, and at this point I dont find it enjoyable...but how do I know later on if it gets better or more interesting towards my tastes??

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
If you are not passionate about things electronic then you need to re-evaluate why you entered into this course of study.

Think of a career path that fits with what stimulates your curiousity and look for a way to pursue it. It would not hurt to make an appointment with a career guidance counselor to get some other career choice ideas. It takes a lot of courage to change ones career direction but if you honestly have doubts about the direction you have chosen then the sooner you resolve those doubts the sooner you will get on track to what really interests you.

A wise individual once told me "If you enjoy what you do in your work, you will never work a day in your life".

I hope this response helps you out.

Good Luck

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

based on what you said that you are in a 2 year program, is that course for electronics technicians?

to be in electronics you have to have an incling with tinkering electronic devices to arouse your sense of curiousity. if you don't have this better get out of it at this early stage, no use spending hard earned money on something that you won't make use or enjoy later. :)

in electronics engineering only the first part is hard because you have to learn all the basics.

maybe you are better off being a hobbyist, becoz you only indulge in it at your pleasure time :p

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by hgmjr@Feb 20 2005, 08:46 PM
If you are not passionate about things electronic then you need to re-evaluate why you entered into this course of study.

Think of a career path that fits with what stimulates your curiousity and look for a way to pursue it. It would not hurt to make an appointment with a career guidance counselor to get some other career choice ideas. It takes a lot of courage to change ones career direction but if you honestly have doubts about the direction you have chosen then the sooner you resolve those doubts the sooner you will get on track to what really interests you.

A wise individual once told me "If you enjoy what you do in your work, you will never work a day in your life".

I hope this response helps you out.

Good Luck
[post=5437]Quoted post[/post]​

Not has a truer word been said.

But, I would warn about careers advisers. I'm not sure about what careers advisers are like where you are from i the world, but in Britain they offer little, and often poor quality, help - often advising you to do what the "textbook" says. I would just say, do what you want to do - it doesn't matter if you don't make any money, as long as your happy in what you do - you''l probably live longer too!!!

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
lol our advisors over here tell us on every question, yep that'll work...just make sure wutever u do that you are happy...they are a waste of time over here in USA.

-fire

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
It looks like the consensus is developing that career advisors are a waste of time. I herein withdraw that recommendation. You may want to strike "career advisor" off your list of possble career choices. They seem to be held in rather low regard.

ski

Joined Nov 7, 2004
I am just finishing up my B.S. in Electrical Engineering, and the first couple years I had doubts, but now that I have done internships and gotten to specialize in a branch of electrical enginering, it has gotten much better. But as someone said before, being a technician is different, because you must truly love to tinker. Your education will hopefully give you the tools to work and be able to do a job, but I would recommend talking to some people who are second years at your school -- ask them how they feel now versus their first year.

Good luck :)