Electronics Homework Help

bigmickygg

Joined Nov 20, 2014
So I've been asked to create a circuit which displays the numbers 1 to 6 on an active-low seven segment display. the numbers can appear in any order and must all appear only once. (so it doesn't have to count from 1 to 6, just show the numbers 1 to 6). We can only use two input NAND, AND, OR, NOR & Inverters, and we must use as few of these gates as possible. We are also using a 4-bit loadable binary counter.

I've managed to create a circuit that counts sequentially from 1 to 6, and back again, but it uses too many gates, and can be improved. (I've attached an image of it).
Like I said before, it doesn't have to count sequentially, it just has to be able to display the numbers from 1 to 6. I need your help, internet!

Thanks in avance. :)

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Please scale and format your image so that it doesn't require nearly a megabyte of download allowance to see it. What I find generally works well is to scale it to 300 pixels wide and save it in PNG format. You can do that very easily with Paint or other free software.

If you are counting up, then you are having to detect the value of 6 and reload the counter with zero. What if you count down?

bigmickygg

Joined Nov 20, 2014
The counter is counting up, but it reloads it with 1 instead of 0. The task was to create a electronic dice, which showed the numbers 1 to 6, and had them appear randomly when the user presses a switch. I can make the numbers appear randomly, using a clock set to high frequency, a switch and an extra AND gate. The problem I'm having is to create a circuit which uses minimal gates to repeatedly cycle through the numbers, and show them on the seven segment display. Counting backwards would get rid of a gate, but the problem is that I need it to be able to do it multiple times, so i can't see how counting backwards would help.

Also, I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if editing the previous post is possible. (If it is, i have no idea how to do it). So i've just re-attached the smaller image to this post instead.

Attachments