Electronics Design HELP NEEDED

Bill45458

Joined Apr 22, 2006

I'm seeking someone to help me design an electronics device.

The device is a simple electronics device similiar to a garage door opener transmitter and receiver, but modified. Since I have NO skills in electronics I am looking for an electronics expert to assist me.

General info on device:

Transmitter:
Sensor activated - a reflective beam when broken would transmit signal.
Be able to set frequency (similar to dip switches on garage door openers).
Needs to be able to trigger receiver at a minimum range of 50 ft. and no limit on high end.
Needs to operate on very, very low DC or solar power. No AC input.

Receiver:
Needs a LED to indicate the transmitter and reciever are working properly.
When the transmitter is activated the LED should flash until the beam is no longer broken at the transmitter. Enhanced version could have a switch for and audible tone (beep) when beam is broken.
Receiver may operate off batteries or AC.

This device will be used in my shop. If the device works I'll gladly for the design.

Or if you know of a company that can do this type of work let me know.

DAY DUDE

Joined Apr 28, 2006
Originally posted by Bill45458@Apr 22 2006, 10:03 AM

I'm seeking someone to help me design an electronics device.

The device is a simple electronics device similiar to a garage door opener transmitter and receiver, but modified. Since I have NO skills in electronics I am looking for an electronics expert to assist me.

General info on device:

Transmitter:
Sensor activated - a reflective beam when broken would transmit signal.
Be able to set frequency (similar to dip switches on garage door openers).
Needs to be able to trigger receiver at a minimum range of 50 ft. and no limit on high end.
Needs to operate on very, very low DC or solar power. No AC input.

Receiver:
Needs a LED to indicate the transmitter and reciever are working properly.
When the transmitter is activated the LED should flash until the beam is no longer broken at the transmitter. Enhanced version could have a switch for and audible tone (beep) when beam is broken.
Receiver may operate off batteries or AC.

This device will be used in my shop. If the device works I'll gladly for the design.

Or if you know of a company that can do this type of work let me know.

[post=16418]Quoted post[/post]​
I think your on the right track with the garage door opener, I think I'd use the internals out of one, most of what your asking for already exsists right out of the box. A stop sensor that triggers the motor reverse/stop when the beam is crossed. pull the board apart and use that input.
for your power requirement at the transmitter the only time current load is a real issue is during actual transmit, your standby current (with a monitor LED) would be minimal, a small solar array with a DC battery should hold it fine. oops 5 on a Friday gotta run. More to come

Bill45458

Joined Apr 22, 2006
Originally posted by DAY DUDE@Apr 28 2006, 07:32 PM
I think your on the right track with the garage door opener, I think I'd use the internals out of one, most of what your asking for already exsists right out of the box. A stop sensor that triggers the motor reverse/stop when the beam is crossed. pull the board apart and use that input.
for your power requirement at the transmitter the only time current load is a real issue is during actual transmit, your standby current (with a monitor LED) would be minimal, a small solar array with a DC battery should hold it fine. oops 5 on a Friday gotta run. More to come
[post=16677]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for responding Day Dude. I knew most of what I wanted to do was the same as the garage door opener, but I have NO electronic smarts to be able to convert any of it over. I really need some one technically qualified in electronics to design the system.

I'll be wanting for your future posts.

Thanks Bill

NewGuy

Joined May 7, 2006
Originally posted by Bill45458@Apr 29 2006, 04:51 AM
Thanks for responding Day Dude. I knew most of what I wanted to do was the same as the garage door opener, but I have NO electronic smarts to be able to convert any of it over. I really need some one technically qualified in electronics to design the system.

I'll be wanting for your future posts.

Thanks Bill
[post=16688]Quoted post[/post]​

NewGuy

Joined May 7, 2006
Greetings.
I wish I could tell you what you wanted to hear but, I'm basically in the same perdicament. I'm looking for someone with the knowhow to help me develop a circuit for an ongoing project. I've tried to find an Electrical Engineer locally but, have been unsuccessful so far. Of the half dozen Engineers I've spoken to so far, only two of them actually new anything about the kind of circuitry I needed. One of those two said he couldn't help me and the other acted as though he was God's gift to the Electronics industry and he didn't have time for anything else. The remaining Engineers were basically the kind that wire houses on constructions sites. Apparently they took on the title of Electrical Engineers because it made them look as though they knew more than they really did about electronics. I've considered going to one of the local colleges and seeing if I could get some help from one of their up and coming students but, I thought I'd try searching for this kind of help online a little while longer.
I stumbled accross this website so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm hoping that someone out there will be willing to make an extra couple of bucks in exchange for helping me come up with a sound electrical circuit design for my application.
My reason for contacting you was to ask, If you do find someone that can help you with your project, perhaps you can steer them in my direction when you've completed your circuit design.
Best of luck to you.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by NewGuy@May 8 2006, 02:58 PM
Greetings.
I wish I could tell you what you wanted to hear but, I'm basically in the same perdicament. I'm looking for someone with the knowhow to help me develop a circuit for an ongoing project. I've tried to find an Electrical Engineer locally but, have been unsuccessful so far. Of the half dozen Engineers I've spoken to so far, only two of them actually new anything about the kind of circuitry I needed. One of those two said he couldn't help me and the other acted as though he was God's gift to the Electronics industry and he didn't have time for anything else. The remaining Engineers were basically the kind that wire houses on constructions sites. Apparently they took on the title of Electrical Engineers because it made them look as though they knew more than they really did about electronics. I've considered going to one of the local colleges and seeing if I could get some help from one of their up and coming students but, I thought I'd try searching for this kind of help online a little while longer.
I stumbled accross this website so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm hoping that someone out there will be willing to make an extra couple of bucks in exchange for helping me come up with a sound electrical circuit design for my application.
My reason for contacting you was to ask, If you do find someone that can help you with your project, perhaps you can steer them in my direction when you've completed your circuit design.
Best of luck to you.
[post=16895]Quoted post[/post]​
Maybe you should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses and also let us know exactly what you want done. Our ESP skills are proportional to the input recieved.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by NewGuy@May 8 2006, 02:58 PM
Greetings.
Best of luck to you.
[post=16895]Quoted post[/post]​
Maybe you should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses and also let us know exactly what you want done. Our ESP skills are proportional to the input recieved.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Needs to operate on very, very low DC or solar power.
Can you clarify that for me..? It sounds like you want a High power transmitter (depending on what you mean by "No Limit") with almost no power supply..??

BTW, the DIP switchs on a Garage Door Opener dont alter the frequency, only the digital code that is transmitted/received...(sorta like a "Pin number" or a Password).
To alter the frequency with DIP switchs a resonably complex PLL circuit in both receiver and transmitter would be required, and if it is not limited to one of the standard Telemetry type frequencies at allowable power outputs, then engineering tests and radio licencing might be required.

Apart from that, I see no major problems.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you approach an engineer as if he were a tradesman then you should hardly be surprised at the response. The response you are getting might be due to an assessment of the effort involved and the perceived reward. It's a way of saying no without actually saying no. Another way of saying no without saying no is to quote a price in excess of what the result is worth. That way you can calibrate the seriousness of the other party. If for some bizarre reason the answer is yes, then it's better to work on something you don't care about at twice or three times your normal rate.

kourosh

Joined Aug 24, 2007
There are lots of useless comments...you have lot's of choices. The cheepest method is to use infrared sensors. Just Google it! It basically can be used like a simple light sensor...Note: the limitations are a range of 10m angle of 40 degrees.
Read about FM and AM. I think that especially frequency modulation is very powerful and interesting. With that, you can invent any method of encryption to make your remote less-likely Hackable.
I have spent years working and studing these and I know one cannot learn it all over night. It's a good interest though.