Electronics Components Shopping List

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
Is there one?

Sure I understand depends on your project but is there a general list of compnents that are good to have around.

The reasons I ask is I will be ordering some stuff for a project and figure since they are relativly cheap and you usually have to spend more the X and to save on shipping in the future I was wondering if there is some sort of list of common resistors, transistors, LED, etc. that is good to have a few hanging around when you might need to either fix a project or start a new and don't want to wait on ordering more of the common parts.

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
What ever list you make and buy, 2 weeks later you'll need the one thing you didn't order, never fails.:rolleyes:
Max.
I think that applies to everything that you order.

Every week the girlfriend sends me a picture of a seat on the couch with a pile of packages with the title "Pretty nice haul this week" LOL

I have the first and second Make book on learning electronics and the first 2 kits. Maybe both books is a good starting place.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Every week the girlfriend sends me a picture of a seat on the couch with a pile of packages with the title "Pretty nice haul this week" LOL

But women and shopping, that is a whole different scenario :eek:
Four+ hours in a shopping mall would = a short jail sentence for me.
Max.:)

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I can't live without common value 1/4W resistors, 1N4004-6, 2N2222A, and some leds for indicators on breadboard.

Better include breadboard and power supply.

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
I can't live without common value 1/4W resistors, 1N4004-6, 2N2222A, and some leds for indicators on breadboard.

Better include breadboard and power supply.
Yummy breadboard. I think I got 1 in my Make Electronics kits probably should get some more of those.

The bench power supply I ordered is do to ship to me next week, pretty excited about. I did get a one 2 and 4 battery holders and a couple of 9v holders.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Ebay is a good source of really cheap components such as B.B. jumpers that have both male to male and male to female ends, also grab bags of resistors, all post paid from Hong Kong, courtesy of the Chinese Govt.:rolleyes:
Max.

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
In an attempt to create this shopping list on Mouser just to make it easier on myself (also maybe share it with future new people that might want a starting point)

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=c21fd511eb

Some things I was not able to find or was not sure what I was searching for. The above link is my current list based on the list here http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=531470&postcount=19

So far the things I didn't find are:

1N34 germanium diode
8Ω speaker
piezo buzzer

Things I was not sure what I was looking for:

( 2 ) Light dependent resistor (LDR)
single row 0.1" pitch pin headers
dual row 0.1" pitch pin headers

While I can understand I can probably get some stuff cheaper other places. For a new person like myself being able to get it all from one place and be able to go back and get more as I use/destroy them is preferred over placing orders everywhere..

These are not for any particular project but more of to have around as I tinker and need things.

If any of you pro's could look it over and see what I've missed or gotten the wrong part. Also quantity suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I will have piezo buzzers and small 8 Ohm speakers on offer soon, as well small motors.

Examining that list from the other thread, it is a quite sparse assortment.

Battery holders are not strictly neccessary, you can buy cheap Euro shop batteries, and solder thin wires to them. I actually have holders but often I am too lazy to search for them, or it is just a temporary circuit.

You can for instance make a plug for breadboards with perfboard and row headers- you need a large bag with row headers, they are used up fast.

then you can use any component on breadboards! I like the small 170 pin one's.

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
I will have piezo buzzers and small 8 Ohm speakers on offer soon, as well small motors.

Examining that list from the other thread, it is a quite sparse assortment.

Battery holders are not strictly neccessary, you can buy cheap Euro shop batteries, and solder thin wires to them. I actually have holders but often I am too lazy to search for them, or it is just a temporary circuit.

You can for instance make a plug for breadboards with perfboard and row headers- you need a large bag with row headers, they are used up fast.

then you can use any component on breadboards! I like the small 170 pin one's.
Thanks, I'm not conerned with the battery holders as I have some of those and will have a bench power supply in the comming weeks (should ship this week) so I'm all set on power.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Ebay is a good source of really cheap components such as B.B. jumpers that have both male to male and male to female ends, also grab bags of resistors, all post paid from Hong Kong, courtesy of the Chinese Govt.:rolleyes:
Max.
Isnt actually true, only large sellers can get discounted shipping, some use real stamps, I got an envelope with HK dollars stamps recently.

They also loose money on quite a few shipments, you think the pricing is cheap, but you should see the pricing from their distributors.

Other customers pay for the free shipping for small orders, and ebay fosters this culture. I dont place orders less than $50, and on larger orders I often pay $30 shipping for $100 items.

Shipping discount schemes exist for most postal service providers, cost is often only about 1/2 to 1/3 of the over-the-counter price.

You can really think the free shipping is paid by other customers, its included in the price, and on $3 orders they actually loose money. If you order at least for $50, you do them a big favour, and they'll adjust prices.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Isnt actually true, only large sellers can get discounted shipping, some use real stamps, I got an envelope with HK dollars stamps recently.
I just know in the last month I have ordered four items from $1.50 to $10.00 and no postage.
Small - large seller, I have no idea, although some have a feedback of 1000 so maybe that qualifies?
Max.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I just know in the last month I have ordered four items from $1.50 to $10.00 and no postage.
Small - large seller, I have no idea, although some have a feedback of 1000 so maybe that qualifies?
Max.
when I sell $1 item I want to make $1 on it or why should I do any work at all? Pay the postal system so $ 5.50 is the lowest possible price.

Seriously the idea is not to make it possible to haul items over 10000km for no money to help you saving.

The idea is you buy more and more and more from them.

Is there one?

Sure I understand depends on your project but is there a general list of compnents that are good to have around.

The reasons I ask is I will be ordering some stuff for a project and figure since they are relativly cheap and you usually have to spend more the X and to save on shipping in the future I was wondering if there is some sort of list of common resistors, transistors, LED, etc. that is good to have a few hanging around when you might need to either fix a project or start a new and don't want to wait on ordering more of the common parts.[/Q

I think you must made searches regarding to view or find these items.So, My suggestion will surely help you and proved very helpful.I would like to share here my using store IRABWAH which keeps theses kind of items.