Electronic WorkBench-Build Log

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
So I got permission to build a electronic workbench from the boss. I repurpose my old kitchen table to a suitable bench I think..
This what I started with

After some work and planning here what I have so far.. It's not done and need some work
20170306_180238.jpg
20170306_180238.jpg

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was in Harbor Freight last night getting a welding helmet and I saw a 6 foot outlet bar for $25 (with cord and plug attached).
A bargain compared to what I paid at Lowes for a 6 foot outlet bar without the cord attached.:(

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Thanks and it still has alot more work to make everything fit and function well.
My biggest problem right now is to figure out what equipment needs to stay or go.
Plus I might do a giveaway of some extra 50ohm BNC connectors when I find them all and will be within CONUS.
I was in Harbor Freight last night getting a welding helmet and I saw a 6 foot outlet bar for $25 (with cord and plug attached).
A bargain compared to what I paid at Lowes for a 6 foot outlet bar without the cord attached.:(
I noticed that and pick up a 6 outlet power strip with 8'cord for $13.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My biggest problem right now is to figure out what equipment needs to stay or go.
I have had a functional electronics bench since 1977. The good stuff is a sillyscope, a visible jolt meter, a signal generator, 3 power supplies (one that runs on a Variac), a good light, and a soldering iron. Several sets of plastic drawers seem essential to being able to find a part when you need it. Of course, your interests might require different equipment.;)

The wood working and sheet metal tools are in the shed where I make speaker boxes and the metal parts you attach electronic do-dads to. It is a functional fabrication shop with drill press, table saw, bench grinder, 6" bench vise, spark welder, and lots of small tools like saws, chisels, files, and a riveter.
Some people consider a computer to be an essential part of an electronic work bench. I haven't figured that out yet.:(

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I have had a functional electronics bench since 1977. The good stuff is a sillyscope, a visible jolt meter, a signal generator, 3 power supplies (one that runs on a Variac), a good light, and a soldering iron. Several sets of plastic drawers seem essential to being able to find a part when you need it. Of course, your interests might require different equipment.;)
This is my first electronics work bench .I have 3 scopes right now but my Silgent is the only usable one right now till the others get repaired and some what cal or check. Even then I might look into getting rid of them but not sure yet.There is several meters in my collection so far but might save up for Uni-t 61E or a Mastech..Both of my main power supplies are dead and are in need of repair. But I do have a small vintage adjustable power supply with 15vdc/500ma and a old Radio Shack/Tandy 12vdc/5amp cb power supply. I don't have a Variac but might pick one if I can find one locally for a really good price.. On the bench is one signal generator and I have another that needs to be finished/parts order and a nice case to protect from damage..I have plenty of light and a great quality soldering station but need to pick up some different tips. The storage of parts is a little bit of a problem right now but it's more of trial and error to see what works for me . Also pretty much have all the tools I need to make my own pcbs too.. In my opinion I am pretty much set for what I think I would need or use .. The only equipment I am not sure what to do with is a Fluke Freq counter and Heathkit Scope calibrator ??