Electronic Weight Watchers

Miss Kelly

Joined Nov 9, 2013
I do a similar exercise. Knees bent and together, rocking them side to side. It sort of wakes up the back and the hip joints. Much easier than trying to inject them with coffee.

Miss Kelly

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I checked yesterday...181? down 7 pounds??? 9 days ago I had been stuck at 188 for weeks!

Just goes to show, measuring every day doesn't work for me. Different activity levels, from dreadfully hard work to shamefully lazy for a week seem to wreck the predictability. Pump up the big muscles, let them down, fat cells hiding water in case I might need them later...all sorts of things make short term measurements unreliable.

I'm making progress in the long run, and that's good to know. I still have my mind believing that another year at 3 pounds a month is entirely reasonable for a goal.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Long term progress is the goal. The leveling off and or shrt term gain only allows us to see if we had any chamges any changes that were detrimental to the effort.

I gained a few pounds over the last two months because of eating choices, but today is last day at my cabin fever job. I'll be hanging with the grandkids and increasing my activity level starting tomorrow.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
181 for 3 days in a row. I believe that as a benchmark. If I ever see 188 again, I will know I'm doing something wrong.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I'm making progress in the long run, and that's good to know. I still have my mind believing that another year at 3 pounds a month is entirely reasonable for a goal.
Reasonable, and about the perfect goal line for healthy long term fat loss (and keeping it off).

It helps to know what your fat amount is when working out the ideal loss per week. For instance my bodyfat pinch (caliper) on the side if my waist over the hip bone is 10mm. I'm lean enough that a pound a week is a bit much for me and half a pound a week would be better. If you currently carry more fat than that you can lose it a bit faster, maybe 1.5 pounds a week.

I've been dropping weight a bit too fast at the moment (for me) at slightly over 1 pound per week. I can see some slight muscle mass loss, and need to do some tape measurements of my biceps and legs etc. My bodyfat caliper measurements are in a couple of days (I do it once a month) so that will tell me exactly how much percentage of my fat has been shed over the month.

Re bodyweight I only weigh about once a week, once every two weeks if I forget. There's no point measuring too often and getting messed up over day to day fluctuations. :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I checked yesterday...181? down 7 pounds??? 9 days ago I had been stuck at 188 for weeks!

If you can keep up that pace, in 5 years and 4 months you will be completely gone.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
At first glance, that's funny. On second thought, at my age, it could come true. :D
Once you get past 60, you can hear the veil rustle.
The best I can do is quit the abuses of my body that I used to get away with.
Still, accidents happen, diseases happen, and I can't survive some of the hits I took 40 years ago. I only hope I'll wear out instead of rusting out.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
How's everybody going in their weight loss? Any updates?

I did my weight and fat caliper readings, after two months (missed testing one month).

Lost 2.5 kg over 8.6 weeks (0.29kg /week or 0.63 pounds/week).

My bodyfat caliper reading total sum went from 240 mm to 225 mm, fat loss of 6% of the fat I was carrying.

Who's up for a weight watcher's "sound off"?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Tomorrow is my 7 wk point post-surgery. I am down right at 35 lb. For the first time in over 20 years I am below 300 lb. My blood sugars are doing quite well. I am off insulin and only taking Victoza (will hopefully switch from that back to metformin after my blood work results come in tomorrow). My last home A1c was 7.5%, which is a huge improvement from the 12.8% that it was just over two months ago. My blood pressure started coming up again and so I am back on one of the two drugs and that seems to have it mostly in check. Feeling pretty good with most of my energy levels back where they were. Now just focusing on settling in for the long haul for the next nine months to two years or so.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The digging I did turned up this:

1 pound of pure fat = 4000 calories

1 pound of human body fat = 3400 calories.

Body fat has fewer calories because it also has water.

ak (245 -> 180)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Maslow?

Every now and then the name pops up. I've haven't looked at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs since the 1970s ... is it coming back into vogue?

And to be "on topic", I've dropped a couple of lbs the last two days. I have a very long way to go to get back to "boot camp" weight ...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I was down to 173 two weeks ago. Then I had family get-togethers the past two weekends where I pigged out on deep fried foods and drank gallons of beer. Back up to 178, but I'm on the commode right now and judging by what I see beneath me, I estimate I'm back down to 175.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Roasted chicken and Black Forest cake...Yummy!
and it's going to take a week to get back to where I was before that party. :D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Update: Today is the 8wk point and I am down 40lb. That works out to a nominal calorie deficit of 2500 Cal/day, which is pretty much right on the money.

I can now wear size 50 pants. One more size down and, for the first time in my life, my waist (in inches) will be smaller than my age (in years). Of course, that might only indicate how old I'm getting.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Congratulations, WBahn! How does the change feel, psychologically and physically, in your everyday life?

Over the span of this lengthy thread, I forgot what diet you followed. Can you remind me?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My diet is based on a good gut scrambling -- I had gastric bypass surgery eight weeks ago.

Since then my diet is mostly along the lines of low carb, except that I have to also keep the intake of fats in pretty tight moderation. So it's mostly protein and veggies/fruits. Right now I am up to about 600 Calories a day, though that varies from about 200 to 800. I may have broken 1000 Calories once or twice -- and felt horrible as a result. Over time (a year or two) my new stomach pouch will expand so that I can consume the amount of Calories I need to maintain my weight (and, if I'm not careful, it is entirely possible to expand it enough to allow me to regain all the weight I will have lost).

I'm feeling pretty good. I'm pretty firmly off insulin now, which feels wonderful, and my blood sugars are in pretty tight control.

But what's strange is that I can't say that I really feel that much lighter. Back in 2002 when I first started Low Carb I eventually lost 50 lb and got from 377 lb down to 327 lb and long before I got to that point I felt much, much lighter. Now I'm down 40 lb to 293 lb and I don't feel much of a change at all. At some point the difference will become apparent to me, so I'm not worried about that at all. Psychologically the change is reasonably profound. I went through a three week stall where I didn't lose an ounce, despite only consuming 500 Cal/day. Before, something like that would have spelled doom. One week I could handle with no problem (in fact, looked forward to it because I knew what it meant). Two weeks was stretching it, though, and three weeks would have been more than I could have handled. Now, however, I don't really have much of a choice. Plus, I don't have much of an appetite, either. So even though it was very frustrating, it was easy to stay the course.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Right, I remember about your operation now.
Is that "intervention" permanent? Will you need to do regular "service" operations, say, every 5 years?

I think doing exercise regularly for more than 2 months will be the next "lightness kick". But you'd be rushing yourself if you did that.

Keep up the good work.