Electronic Weight Watchers

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
For what it's worth, most of my diabetes went into remission when I got under 200 pounds. Now and again my blood sugar spikes, but mostly it is in the 120's. Normal is 80 to 100, most diabetics are over 170.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In small steps that added up. First I went to smaller portions, and started walking. My goal was to loose 1-2 pounds a week, but not any faster. When I first started walking I would take a pill bottle of peanuts because I would get tunnel vision from sugar crashes. Peanuts are great for diabetics, they provide a slow steady release of sugar when you need it. I started with short distances, and built up slowly..

I started walking every chance I got, including breaks at work. Since I was 3rd shift I would eat my lunch while walking. I worked in a large building, so I would stay after work and walk some more where the weather was always nice ( inside the building). I was doing 7 miles a day walking there at the last, which is slow (I was walking fast as I could, and adding 2 flights of stars on the route per lap, about .7 miles)

I also started counting calories. I tried to keep it at 1000 / day. Didn't succeed very often, but the effort still pays off.

Mostly I didn't obsess. If I failed to loose my goal in a week I blew it off, you will plateau occasionally. When that happened I would do a mega walk, at first that was 3 miles, then 6 miles back to back days, then 10 miles. It seemed to jump start my metabolism. Now and again I would declare a diet holiday, like for Thanksgiving or some other special occasion (birthdays for example).

If I lost too fast I would up the food intake, if too slow I upped the exercise (walking distance). Again, I took a really long view, I took me around 8 months to reach 165, where I seemed to stabilize. I want 155, and have touched 158 for a day. Not really doing the work due to weather, so I am at 170-175.

I would say the lack of obsession is key. If you expect too much you will get discouraged and give up. Keep your eye on the prize, but forgive yourself if you slip up. Accept that you will slip now and again.

I can't prove it, but I think my average metabolism has sped up. Paradoxically, my resting state it is much slower, I get cold really easy. With 270 pounds of blubber I was pretty immune to the cold.

I used to have hyper tension, it is gone. Like I said, the diabetes is firmly under control.

What got me to the state to do the work was clinical depression. For a long while I let myself go, I wasn't treating the hyper tension or diabetes. I was just waiting to die. It came to a crisis about two years ago, AAC almost lost a moderator. But I decided to address some larger issues and live. Weight was a part of that process. I'm doing much better. Old friends I haven't seen in years can't recognize me.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Like my opinion...take the long view. I didn't get fat in a year and I won't get skinny in a year. Just start from where you are and develop methods as you learn. The first important part is to start.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I would certainly like to be more muscular, but those guys don't look healthy.
They're healthy enough, that's just what someone looks like with no fat on their body. And yeah, it's more of a temporary situation for a couple of weeks around contest time, they normally hold more fat.

I guess my point is that bodybuilding consists of two basic parts; 1. skill to add muscle mass, and 2. skill to remove every bit of bodyfat.

Making bodybuilders the world's foremost experts in bodyfat reduction. :)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I would certainly like to be more muscular, but those guys don't look healthy.
If you start weight training say 3 times every week. You will see something quite fast, already after 6 to 8 weeks. Weight training shapes up the body. Giving the illusion that more fat was lost than what actually shows on the scale. Tight and toned muscle takes up less space than loose, flabby muscle mass.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here are a couple of quotes from sciencedaily.com
Good future for diabetics?

impedance spectroscopy to help them develop a system for the determination of blood glucose concentrations without having to obtain a blood sample from the person with diabetes.
The spectral lines obtained by impedance spectroscopy depend crucially on the concentration of glucose in a blood sample. So, the researchers first performed in-vitro with standard solution containing different concentrations of glucose. They then place electrodes on the forearm of a volunteer and record the impedance spectrum through the skin without having to pierce the skin. The reference then reveals the blood glucose concentration non-invasively.
However, there are several other factors that can affect such impedance spectra including patient-to-patient variation in skin type and skin moisture as well as related factors that would affect readings day to day for the same patient. The team is investigating these issues with a view to taking the prototype system to the next stage in research and development.

and

Tests of their approach in laboratory rabbits, used as surrogates for humans in such experiments, showed that levels of glucose in tears track the amounts of glucose in the blood. "Thus, it may be possible to measure tear glucose levels multiple times per day to monitor blood glucose changes without the potential pain from the repeated invasive blood drawing method," say the researchers

Just a bit I picked up cruising the interwebs.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I remember my technology book from when I was a kid promised me nano-bots in my blood, robot doctors and calorie-less chocolate cake by 2010!

Still waiting! :D

I would be repulsed and afraid to "date" a female body builder!
You'd be okay with a male one though? ;) :p

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Wow! That is a coincidence. I wish you the best with the surgery and the followup program. I, too, need more exercise, and have thinking (seriously) about somehow mounting a laptop on a treadmill. Typing would be hard, but with a wireless mouse, web browsing would be easy, and would make the time pass quickly.
I have a friend that absolutely hates exercise and has tried a number of things along these lines in the past.

He seems to have found something that is working for him. He has a treadmill that will adjust down to a very slow speed. He has it set for 2mph. He then has a desktop that he was able to adjust to a height that lets him work while walking. He says that he is literally able to work four to six hours at a time and completely forgets that he is standing up and walking. Now, 2mph is not much, but anything is better than nothing and doing any level of exercise for such an extended amount of time is known to start producing a low-level aerobic training effect.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I have a friend that absolutely hates exercise and has tried a number of things along these lines in the past.

He seems to have found something that is working for him. He has a treadmill that will adjust down to a very slow speed. He has it set for 2mph. He then has a desktop that he was able to adjust to a height that lets him work while walking. He says that he is literally able to work four to six hours at a time and completely forgets that he is standing up and walking. Now, 2mph is not much, but anything is better than nothing and doing any level of exercise for such an extended amount of time is known to start producing a low-level aerobic training effect.

Yeah, I'm sure that I would be in a lot worse shape; if I hadn't worked out, (mostly Free weights and running).....all those years when I was younger. Had to give it up around 15 years ago.

I'm 6'1" and weigh 230 as of today.:cool:

The pain is too great, to work out anymore.:(

In that case, all you can do is to try to limit your caloric intake; to being lower than what you burn.
No need ever, for a strict diet.
Don't believe everything a Doc tells you.
No one, knows your body better than you.;)
....etc., etc....

Like you said, anything is better than nothing.