Electronic Weight Watchers

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I used the weight tracking graphs from this site a few years ago:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html
In the early stages of a diet it's hard to know if it is working - you get on the scales one day and you are 3 pounds heavier than the day before - this averages it so you can see the trends, shows if you are heading for your goals, etc.
Give it a go, it probably helps keep focused on losing weight as well.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
The next year when I got back from my bicycle tour of Italy, I stepped on the scale and was down to 170lbs.
Part of that weight loss was likely from laughing at the state of Italian civil engineering. They can't seem to keep their buildings out of the water; first Venice and now Lake Reschensee. ;)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Part of that weight loss was likely from laughing at the state of Italian civil engineering. They can't seem to keep their buildings out of the water; first Venice and now Lake Reschensee. ;)
:) You have been here?

Actually I always forget if this is Italy or Austria, it is a blur as to whe I crossed the border.

Lots of things to laugh about there. I was just posting about that in a bicycle forum. Like the old couple screaming at one another arguing about a location of a bike path that we inquired. Or being chased out of a restaurant in Como because we did not have exact change for the meal (Italians are crazy about change for some reason).

But over all I cannot imagine more warm, friendly and helpful people in such a beautiful country. As I experienced it all because I decided to loose weight by riding a bike.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
No, but northern Italy is one of the places I'd like to visit. I need my company to sell product there so I can "service" it. :D
Sell industrial equipment into Italy??? Wouldn't they need an industry first so you could have a customer base? Unless you sell to Parma ham (proscuitto) or parmesan cheese producers.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
No, but northern Italy is one of the places I'd like to visit. I need my company to sell product there so I can "service" it. :D

Not a whole heck of a lot of industry there. Not a whole heck of a lot of anything for that matter. Maybe in Bolozano or Merano. Not a whole heck of a lot in the north west either.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So where do they make Italian sports cars? Carlo Gavazzi is a pretty big brand of industrial electronics coming out of Italy. Arduino comes from Italy. I have encountered/serviced quite a few industrial manufacturing machines and machine tools from various companies in Italy. I have an Italian lathe in my garage. I think it has more industry than you guys are giving credit for.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So where do they make Italian sports cars? Carlo Gavazzi is a pretty big brand of industrial electronics coming out of Italy. Arduino comes from Italy. I have encountered/serviced quite a few industrial manufacturing machines and machine tools from various companies in Italy. I have an Italian lathe in my garage. I think it has more industry than you guys are giving credit for.
Just gopher. I was simply commenting that there was not all that much going on in the north with the exception of maybe one or two towns.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Our product/service is not quite "industrial" and I think I could find my way from anywhere in Italy to where I wanted to be, at least on the weekends.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Moderator Edit: This thread was split from here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=95157

No ice cream for me! I have successfully lost 30 pounds in the last 12 months and I plan to do it again this year. Basic belief: I won't last to see 70 years old if I still weigh 220 pounds. I'm headed for 160.

Besides, I don't look good with boobs. :D
It's interesting that this should show up today of all days. Tomorrow morning I am having gastric bypass surgery!

I am presently 333 lb. My high weight was about 408 lb. For most of the last 15 years I have been stuck at 377 lb, but my diabetes and inability to keep my sugars under control has brought that down to the 330 lb to 350 lb range for the last couple of years. But NOT the way to lose weight!

I am hoping that in a couple of days I will be off insulin. That's the main reason for resorting to surgery -- it has about a 70% to 80% success of getting Type II diabetics who are still producing insulin off their insulin almost immediately. The average (note: average) weight loss for someone my size is 90lb to 110lb in the first six months. Given that I likely have about 20lb of excess skin that won't be going away without expensive surgery, I am looking at a goal weight of 190lb to 210lb for my large, 6'00" frame. So, conceivably, I could be within striking distance of my goal weight within six months. More realistically, I am hoping to get to 200lb by my 50th birthday (which is in 10.5 months). But if I'm only able to get below 250lb AND get off all of my meds (other than the rat poison, which has nothing to do with my weight or diabetes), I will count that as a major win, provided I can actually maintain it. Since 250 lb is "only" a loss of 85 lb from where I presently am, I am making this my primary six-month goal. But 275 lb will be acceptable and even if I'm only below 300 I won't get too bent out of shape. Though, I have to admit, since the typical weight loss is about 30 lb in the first 30 days, I am hoping to be below 300 lb by 26APR14 (which is then nine months out from my 50th) and this would not seem to be too overly optimistic. If it doesn't happen, I won't be crushed -- but I'm going to toe the line very tight and do everything I can to make it happen.

Of course, the key to my success is going to be two-fold -- (1) stick to the dietary restrictions, and (2) get my ass out of the chair and exercise!

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Wow. That's pretty major surgery, best of luck. Well you won't really need luck they are very good at it these days and your weight is much lower than many people who have it done.

I've found it best to remove fat slowly, about 1 pound per week, for permanent weight loss. If it goes much faster than that it really upsets the body's closed loop mechanisms and the body fights back with cravings, lethargy etc.

But for someone with more total bodyfat even 2 pounds a week can be sustainable and permanent. So your goal of getting into the 200-250 range in 10.5 months sounds quite do-able, especially with the added help from the gastric surgery. :)

Pretty soon you'll have no bodyfat left;

:D

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It's interesting that this should show up today of all days. Tomorrow morning I am having gastric bypass surgery!
Wow! That is a coincidence. I wish you the best with the surgery and the followup program. I, too, need more exercise, and have thinking (seriously) about somehow mounting a laptop on a treadmill. Typing would be hard, but with a wireless mouse, web browsing would be easy, and would make the time pass quickly.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I know two people who had gastric bypass; one is a coworker and one is my mother.

My coworker weighed 308lbs and got down to (my estimate) 150lbs in about a year. He is about 6'-6'2" and actually looks unhealthily slim, like a crack head. He said that after the surgery he lost the sense/feeling of hunger. He was actually hospitalized following a 1 week intense field commissioning job, because for the duration of the job he was absorbed in work and didn't take the time to eat. He had to train himself to eat on a schedule or else he wouldn't eat at all; he simply wasn't hungry.

I don't know how common that is, but my mother didn't experience that when she had the surgery about 9 months ago. So far she has come down from 230lbs to 130lbs in, and has been feeling much more healthy. She is 5'1" tall and during her younger (healthy, not pregnant) years never got above 110lbs. She's hoping to lose 20 more pounds and get back to that. She was in the hospital Saturday for what she thought was a heart attack. They ran a bunch of tests and said it was angina. She is going to see a cardiologist today and find out why. None of the doctors so far have mentioned any possibly of a correlation to the gastric bypass operation, but leaning on my internet medical degree, I suspect that there is a connection. I think that losing that much weight in that short of time has got to put significant stress on the body; enough stress apparently to help the body break at the weak points.

I hope that's not a buzz kill; My internet medical degree and I still encourage the surgery. If the surgery is the only realistic way to get the weight off, then any (actual or wrongly suspected) side effects are less of an issue than weighing 400+ lbs.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Wow! That is a coincidence. I wish you the best with the surgery and the followup program. I, too, need more exercise, and have thinking (seriously) about somehow mounting a laptop on a treadmill. Typing would be hard, but with a wireless mouse, web browsing would be easy, and would make the time pass quickly.
From my experience with treadmills it would take to much focus of the running. You will slow down, as you are a man it is hard to focus at two things at the same time:p. Then it is better to watch a TV show or a movie while running. If you do not have a treadmill, maybe it would be more wise to get one of those indoor exercise bikes. Or using the money at a gym instead. I know some people are afraid they will feel uncomfortable at a gym. But it is nothing to be afraid of.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If anyone is looking to lose fat without compromising their overall health I suggest looking into the bodybuilders diet systems.

Obviously they have figured out how to keep muscle mass and energy levels up while burning off any fat they have.

My understanding of the primary diet is you eat normally and eat well one out of every three days then eat light (small proportions of low calorie low carb food) for the other two.
If you go anymore than two days without eating normal your body goes into an energy having mode that drops your metabolic rates and cancels the high rate fat burning effects.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you go any more than two days without eating normal your body goes into an energy saving mode that drops your metabolic rates and cancels the high rate fat burning effects.
That's what I was talking about when I said, "starvation reaction" in post#3. Had no idea how exactly to trigger it...all I know is, "don't do that". Still, I have my method. I (personally) don't need to tippy toe around the edge of the unhealthy hole in order to get to the right weight. Dropping 60 pounds in 2 years is child's play compared to gastric bypass or diabetes. Lucky me...I saw a photo of myself before this got frighteningly bad.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
If anyone is looking to lose fat without compromising their overall health I suggest looking into the bodybuilders diet systems.

Obviously they have figured out how to keep muscle mass and energy levels up while burning off any fat they have.

My understanding of the primary diet is you eat normally and eat well one out of every three days then eat light (small proportions of low calorie low carb food) for the other two.
If you go anymore than two days without eating normal your body goes into an energy having mode that drops your metabolic rates and cancels the high rate fat burning effects.
Back at the beginning of this thread, I posted this link about losing fat without losing muscle. It's on a blog written by a body builder, and he recommends maintaining a 20% calorie deficit, eating plenty of protein, and doing just enough weight training to "maintain" and zero cardio. I like the sound of that.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

I am presently 333 lb. My high weight was about 408 lb. For most of the last 15 years I have been stuck at 377 lb, but my diabetes and inability to keep my sugars under control has brought that down to the 330 lb to 350 lb range for the last couple of years. But NOT the way to lose weight!

I am hoping that in a couple of days I will be off insulin. That's the main reason for resorting to surgery -- it has about a 70% to 80% success of getting Type II diabetics who are still producing insulin off their insulin almost immediately. The average (note: average) weight loss for someone my size is 90lb to 110lb in the first six months. Given that I likely have about 20lb of excess skin that won't be going away without expensive surgery, I am looking at a goal weight of 190lb to 210lb for my large, 6'00" frame. So, conceivably, I could be within striking distance of my goal weight within six months. More realistically, I am hoping to get to 200lb by my 50th birthday (which is in 10.5 months). But if I'm only able to get below 250lb AND get off all of my meds (other than the rat poison, which has nothing to do with my weight or diabetes), I will count that as a major win, provided I can actually maintain it. Since 250 lb is "only" a loss of 85 lb from where I presently am, I am making this my primary six-month goal. But 275 lb will be acceptable and even if I'm only below 300 I won't get too bent out of shape. Though, I have to admit, since the typical weight loss is about 30 lb in the first 30 days, I am hoping to be below 300 lb by 26APR14 (which is then nine months out from my 50th) and this would not seem to be too overly optimistic. If it doesn't happen, I won't be crushed -- but I'm going to toe the line very tight and do everything I can to make it happen.

Of course, the key to my success is going to be two-fold -- (1) stick to the dietary restrictions, and (2) get my ass out of the chair and exercise!

Good luck and I hope you post some updates over the next few months. I don't think surgery is in my future but Diabetes will eventually find most of us men as we cross the age of 50 and and exceed 230 lbs. My goal is to avoid the need for insulin at all costs.