electronic stethoscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I hope you're not going to be treading on this patent:

US Patent 6002777 - Electronic stethoscope
US Patent Issued on December 14, 1999

An electronic stethoscope having several modes of operation to process acoustic signals to provide filtered signals useful for diagnosis. In one mode of operation the stethoscope substantially provides only acoustic signals generated by biological activity of the heart. In another mode of operation, the acoustic stethoscope substantially provides only acoustic signals generated by biological activity of the lungs. In another mode of operation, the electronic stethoscope disproportionately amplifies abnormal heart sounds and normal heart sounds to enhance diagnosis of heart abnormalities. The electronic stethoscope is operated in a manner similar to a conventional acoustic stethoscope and has similar spectral characteristics, thus allowing a user with acoustic stethoscope experience to easily use the electronic stethoscope.

I care about this because I'm one of the named inventors. But if you're just doing it for fun, go ahead and have a good time.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Why would a simple amplified microphone and filter circuit have a patent?
This simple circuit might have been copied by the named inventors.
Car mechanics use a similar circuit.

Why would a simple amplified microphone and filter circuit have a patent?
This simple circuit might have been copied by the named inventors.
Car mechanics use a similar circuit.
its not that whether it is used or not. and the circuit is similar not same. this doesnt fall under the prior art. so it is not liable to be revoked. check the patent details on the www.patentsonline.com. if you feel that this is wrong file a petition for it. patent infringement is very dangerous. milions of dollars of fine. so be very careful.

Cinek

Joined Jan 11, 2009
dont worry , its only my school project :)

I have one more question about parts? its not a problem that capacitors: C1,C2,C6,C8 and C11 are electrolytic ones?

*Shima*

Joined Apr 22, 2010
Hi

This is my project too and when I searched about that, I found here :)

I cant understand spanish, so I cant read that article at page 1. I need some information about advantage of electrical stethoscope to usual tethoscopes. Do you think it has any usage in medicine and if it has, why is the usual tethoscopes yet used? I want know the reasons of designing this circuit.

and so i need a very exact pressure sensor. Can you guide me?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Hi

This is my project too and when I searched about that, I found here :)

I cant understand spanish, so I cant read that article at page 1. I need some information about advantage of electrical stethoscope to usual tethoscopes. Do you think it has any usage in medicine and if it has, why is the usual tethoscopes yet used? I want know the reasons of designing this circuit.
Maybe an electronic stethoscope is good for a doctor who has a hearing deficiency. Then he can turn up the volume. The output can also be recorded.

The simple circuit in any language is a mic preamp, a lowpass filter and a power amp. It is probably too simple for a school project.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
As I said earlier, I worked on an electronic stethoscope and I'm listed on the patent.

That was back when I worked for a product development company. Typically we worked for other companies--"An R&D department for hire"--but in this case the client was an individual inventor. However, he'd founded a company in the past, and he had the promise of venture capital funding.

Here's what I remember about the reason for an electronic stethoscope. His idea was that first, the volume in a conventional unit isn't very high. Second, listening down a tube obviously gives you a distorted version of the sound (even if doctors are used to it and say it's just what they need!) and lastly, if the signal were electronic, you'd have the ability to process it to emphasize particular kinds of sounds that you were interested in--there are apparently characteristic noises made by valves that don't open or close properly, to name one abnormality that I can remember, but there were others.

And one final reason for the project--he had the idea that there could be special units made for a teaching or consulting environment, so one doctor could apply the stethoscope to a patient, and the resulting signal could be connected up to a whole group of other units used by other people. That way they could discuss what it meant with confidence that they'd all heard the same thing. Or, the output could be recorded and played back later.

It seemed like a pretty intelligent idea, but I don't know if it ever went into production.

*Shima*

Joined Apr 22, 2010
Maybe an electronic stethoscope is good for a doctor who has a hearing deficiency. Then he can turn up the volume. The output can also be recorded.

The simple circuit in any language is a mic preamp, a lowpass filter and a power amp. It is probably too simple for a school project.
you are right, its good point but I mean if this unit can be replaced with the old stethoscopes? I dont think so. Its actually for special uses but I think with some good ideas it can be useful more, for example for someone who have a sick person at home and need to check her or his heartbeat several times a day. we can improve the circuit with microcontroller.

yes, the circuit is so simple but for the person who educated in electronic or can analyze circuits. In my country until 18, we educate at school and dont learn anything about electronic and then in university we can choose this course, so in my country its difficult for a student to do this project with only school learning.

Last edited:

*Shima*

Joined Apr 22, 2010
As I said earlier, I worked on an electronic stethoscope and I'm listed on the patent.

That was back when I worked for a product development company. Typically we worked for other companies--"An R&D department for hire"--but in this case the client was an individual inventor. However, he'd founded a company in the past, and he had the promise of venture capital funding.

Here's what I remember about the reason for an electronic stethoscope. His idea was that first, the volume in a conventional unit isn't very high. Second, listening down a tube obviously gives you a distorted version of the sound (even if doctors are used to it and say it's just what they need!) and lastly, if the signal were electronic, you'd have the ability to process it to emphasize particular kinds of sounds that you were interested in--there are apparently characteristic noises made by valves that don't open or close properly, to name one abnormality that I can remember, but there were others.

And one final reason for the project--he had the idea that there could be special units made for a teaching or consulting environment, so one doctor could apply the stethoscope to a patient, and the resulting signal could be connected up to a whole group of other units used by other people. That way they could discuss what it meant with confidence that they'd all heard the same thing. Or, the output could be recorded and played back later.

It seemed like a pretty intelligent idea, but I don't know if it ever went into production.
thanks for your information :) My father is a doctor and when I talked about my project with him, he said he dont have any problem with his ordinary stethoscope. He thinks this idea maybe useful for someone who educating in medicine and cant diagnose well and an experienced doctor dont need sth like this.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I know a Norwegian company that developed such an instrument many years ago. They are still active link here http://www.medistim.no/Global/Main.asp?Lang=en&Branch=Global&app=Products&cat=8&sub=17 Browse around their site and see what you can find out. Also contact them on Email and ask for more info. I am sure they will send you some info quick
The reason why is using them have been covered by the most i think.
My father is a doctor and when I talked about my project with him, he said he dont have any problem with his ordinary stethoscope.
Your father may have good hearing now. But all human loos some hearing by the year, even your father who is a doctor;). A case he could diagnose in young age, may not be correct diagnosed then he is older.
One of the first use for the meditron electronic stethoscope was in veterinary medicine. The reason for this was part less rigid approval regime. But also the fact the working with large animals like horse you may want to use a long tube from the sensor to the ear. But for a conventional stethoscope this may cause reduced/poor sound quality. But with a electronic stethoscope this is not a problem

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
He thinks this idea maybe useful for someone who educating in medicine and cant diagnose well and an experienced doctor dont need sth like this.
Till he hears something with the electronic stethoscope that he doesn't hear with his trusty ol' stethoscope.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats right.. I guess he doesn't use MRI or CAT scan because his X-ray machine is 'good enough'.

If there is any tool or tool improvement that could help patients, why NOT? What if amplifying the signal, or filtering a band could help detect abnormalities before they are normally audible?

Status
Not open for further replies.