electronic safe's

maneta007

Joined Jun 1, 2007
I saw a battery powered electric safe at the store the other day, and I have wondered this..

The batteries are installed and replace INSIDE the safe.. There's no combination lock, and it's exclusively a numeric pad..

So um, what do you do when the batteries die? LOL

Pootworm

Joined May 18, 2007
That actually happened to me when I was an assistant manager at a retail store. I can tell you from experience that what you do is FREAK OUT. :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I saw a battery powered electric safe at the store the other day, and I have wondered this..

The batteries are installed and replace INSIDE the safe.. There's no combination lock, and it's exclusively a numeric pad..

So um, what do you do when the batteries die? LOL
Does someone want to try and give a logical reason for such a design? (Specifically the battery accessibility).

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Does someone want to try and give a logical reason for such a design? (Specifically the battery accessibility).

Dave
I think the reason is because such manufacturers are simply stupid. They are not conscious that batteries tend to discharge themselves.
Need more examples? Think Microsoft...LOL

Also, probably they don't want the burglar to reset the safe by taking the battery out, but there are other solutions...that one is the worst one.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005

Dave
This design prevents the dead batteries from being stolen.:D

Seriously, I think these safes were designed by salespeople. The batteries are inside to prevent tampering. Those other safes have batteries on the outside where anyone can get to them. You don't want folk being able to access the electronics, do you? Of course not! Pay more money for our protected battery design! Our even-higher-priced model has a "low battery" warning light.

At least that's how the clerk explained it to me. I didn't buy one.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
So we are in agreement - this design is one of the dumbest that could possibly have been conceived. The funny thing is that it was probably spun as a technical advantage by the salesmen. Oh well!

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Not quite. While in the Navy at a shore duty assignment, we had in the building a room that was very secret. It had an electronic lock on the door, which alarmed if the wrong numeral was pressed. On a long weekend, we went up and pressed buttons. The first one that did not sound the alarm was the first digit. It took a few minutes to find the others by the same methodology. Gotta have someone who cares before the alarm works.

Lots of small waveguide plumbing inside, by the way.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Not quite. While in the Navy at a shore duty assignment, we had in the building a room that was very secret. It had an electronic lock on the door, which alarmed if the wrong numeral was pressed. On a long weekend, we went up and pressed buttons. The first one that did not sound the alarm was the first digit. It took a few minutes to find the others by the same methodology. Gotta have someone who cares before the alarm works.

Lots of small waveguide plumbing inside, by the way.
That code would be easy to find after a few tries. If the lock would accept or reject a code after a enter key was pressed (thus the code could have an undetermined number of digits), it would be a lot more difficult.