Electrolytic capacitor , big name , big price?

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Basically I'm looking for a brand which is not only reliable but also cost effective. Not cheap and nasty but more middle of the road.

I would like to know your experience with different brands over the years and how they have faired in your projects. My project is simple, non audio use, 4.7uf , 11v-13v, no extreme temps. Jelly bean sort of application.

Post done on phone , so excuse the shoddy layout of the post.

Kind regards
Rick.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
With so many capacitor counterfeits out there, just go to a reputable distributor, like DigiKey, Mouser, Allied or Newark. Just expect anything purchased from China to be a fake. Getting what your design calls for up front will pay dividends in your not having to troubleshoot why it isn't working properly later on.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
It’s the larger electrolytic caps that get faked... because they are so expensive 4.7 uF @ 15v is easy and small not worth making a fake... but going with a reputable distributor is always a great idea unless you can test and verify components. Don’t get these :p

1572919341156.jpeg

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Will it break the bank to pay $0.10 instead of $0.02... Local distributor will cost less for quicker standard delivery. If you don't mind the 3-4 week wait or pay $20 for DHL you can use the other.

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
betty brown runs over your grass but violet grey walks..... tbh i think i get just as much of a rush of knowing iv got a good deal as designing a circuit. they have Singapore Post , however not to the UK, which is weird because iv had singapore post stuff from other sites. il give them a email and see if they do it, as is only $4

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Ah, all bets off to UK... I do understand the fun in getting a great deal... shouldn't be hard with small electrolytics... but with chips I've had blatant forgeries with BS Ti logos that kind of worked.

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Problem with the Uk is we dont really make much anymore , and the stuff we do make is expensive, so china for most hobbyists is a big go too. So fingers crossed for a USA trade deal, give us some more choice.