Electrolysis

ben sorenson

Joined Feb 28, 2022
I understand that it is possible to extract metals from minerals or plate one metal with another v.i.a electrolysis but I was wondering if it is possible to plate a metal with a mineral/element/non metal. For example could I take pulverized powder carbon granuals/dust and plate a strip of aluminum or copper v.i.a electrolysis?

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
For example could I take pulverized powder carbon granuals/dust and plate a strip of aluminum or copper v.i.a electrolysis?
"A method of electroplating (or electrodeposition) carbon to coat anode and cathode active materials used in Li-ion batteries (LIBs) for improving their cycle life. The electroplating of the carbon coating from the carbon source is ultrafast, preferably taking less than 10 seconds. The carbon source can be comprised of an acetonitrile, methanol, ethanol, acetonitrile, nitromethane, nitroethane or N,N-dimethylformamide (DMF) solution. The protective carbon coating may be used also in gas sensors, biological cell sensors, supercapacitors, catalysts for fuel cells and metal air batteries, nano and optoelectronic devices, filtration devices, structural components, and energy storage devices"
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0274139.html

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Many cases the electrolyte making powders may be set on the metall surface by means of high voltage electrolysis. Typically is brought the CONSTANT CURRENT (!!!!!!!!) source of about 500 V DC and applied some 2-10 A current for dozen of seconds. Many cases it creates the well pores into metall, and oxyde film on it. Some cases that pores have significant capacity against the environment (hundreds of uF at tablet size like a 5...10 mm diameter and few mm thick. Some cases, contrary, the capacitance is neglibile, but resistance is observable, while other cases film is ideal insulator. Observing this rarely used but impressive micro-electrolysis covering process, the whole area between processed tabl;et and reference electrode is filled by small microscopic sparkles , blue bunches one after other. When multiple sparkles are transformed to one redish spot, means something went wrong, probably current was too large. Particularly, this process was good candidate for titanium and zyrconium dental implants covering with salts, making in surface the microcavities let the human flesh may heal into metal and sense it like genuine bone (research of Poland).