Electrolysis Questions

ben sorenson

Joined Feb 28, 2022
Hello, I am going to be experimenting with various forms of high voltage electrolysis 1000+VDC. I am not a chemist, and I'm sure there may be a better site to post this on, but I'm going to ask and research anyway before my attemps

Anode, Cathode a Mixture between Copper./ Nickel Copper, Gold Nickel

Electrolytes

Borax ( Sodium Borate)
Potassium Permagate
Table Salt

As with any experiment, I know research and safety is of the utmost concern, I was wondering if any of these elements, in any such combination undergoing high voltage electrolysis could produce a gas that could be life threatening and/or fatal.

Last year, I messing around with Florite Crystal's and found out how deadly hydroflorioric acid could be if accidently made during an experiment since then I have decided to take my time researching stuff before I just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and turn on a light switch.

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
Even the hydrogen you'll end up generating can be hazardous - especially if you have an open flame or even a spark nearby.

Edit: there's also may be a risk of creating HCl. Not 100% sure on that (it's been...10 years since I've taken a chemistry class), but I seem to recall it being a risk when doing electrolysis with table salt. You may also get sodium hydroxide (lye).

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
1,000 volts in that highly conductive solution (depending upon the concentration of the chemicals), unless the electrodes are tiny would draw a huge amount of current. This is dangerous for many reasons.

What is the reason for this setup? There may be a safer way.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I assume you mean potassium permanganate. That's a powerful oxidation agent comparable to potassium nitrate. You don't want it in contact with any organic material - ie. fuel. It'll work in flash powder to oxidize aluminum powder explosively. The risk to your electrodes is probably not an explosive reaction, but it might be very corrosive.

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
I assume you mean potassium permanganate. That's a powerful oxidation agent comparable to potassium nitrate. You don't want it in contact with any organic material - ie. fuel. It'll work in flash powder to oxidize aluminum powder explosively. The risk to your electrodes is probably not an explosive reaction, but it might be very corrosive.
I had missed the permanganate in the list...."Powerful oxidant" - I'd imagine then as well the hydrogen that will likely be generated will have a significantly-increased chance of...exploding violently. Especially with the pure oxygen being generated (because with electrolysis, one of the main byproducts - typically - is the breakdown of oxygen and hydrogen from the water).

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The immediate danger would be a violent explosion caused any the suddenly heated water if there is any sort of current involved.

Electrolysis of water starts at 1.23V. I don’t know what you expect 1000V to do that’s different.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have been working on a slightly different project in my head,this thread almost got locked because of the discussion of using salt as an electrolyte ( which is dangerous due to the chlorine gas that would be emitted). However potassium hydroxide is very safe and can be bought through Amazon.