Electricity and water analogies?

Aladin

Joined Jan 26, 2007
Hello
please tell me the name of a book that covers all topics of electricity by water analogy.My teacher gives me easy examples of daily life by which it is very very easy to understand electricity.for example last time he gave me example of parallal circuits, i.e 3 road joining one road so traffic will be divided ,so in such a circuits current will be divided.
Please I will be thankful to you if you tell me a book that covers all topics of electricity and electronics by easy examples (water flow analogy or other analogies).In other words I want a self teaching guide.
thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

The water analogy does not take you very far. Just the most elementary parts of DC electricity. It doesn't extend into AC or any electronics at all. I can't think of how to go about explaining a crystal oscillator in any kind of warer flow.

The E-book on this site is pretty good. Give it a look and ask questions as you go.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'm with beenthere on this one, whilst the water analogy is great for simple ideas relating to current flow in DC circuits, it becomes highly restrictive as you progress through the more advanced topics. Start at Volume I - DC (particularly to get a grounding of the fundamental concepts look at Chapter 1). It keeps the details simple, however is consistent across the wide range of electronics topics covered in the book - thus is not restrictive as the water analogy. Work at this early stage will pay of later.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
please this is not enough for me.tell me my required book.
You will struggle to find a book that deals purely with electricity as a water analogy. Probably the best you will get is the article at Hyperphysics looking at DC circuits as a water analogy. Beyond very basic DC circuits, many of the assumptions just don't stand up and you are best taking the advice we gave earlier.

Dave

Aladin

Joined Jan 26, 2007
Thank you dave I have found many links on internet about water analogy to DC circuits But I can't found any book on it .please tell me a book .I will be thankful to you

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I don't know of any books and as I said in my previous post, I think you will stuggle to find a book based on the water analogy because of the restrictive nature of applying this approach to more advanced branches of electronic circuits.

Dave

Aladin

Joined Jan 26, 2007
But my teacher has a book that is relate to daily analogies of electricity.for example, he gave me example of charge store on a parallel plate capacitor and when we fill air with pressure in a bottle,parallel and series circuits analogy to traffic on two roads etc.This is an easiest way to learn electricity oneself.

Aladin

Joined Jan 26, 2007
Ok OK. thank you.
I am going to near my required book. Now I found a new keyword "Mechanical analogy to electricity"I hope this keyward will help me in finding a useful book.If anyone know this please tell me more .. thanks

Aladin

Joined Jan 26, 2007
I got a book "understanding dc and ac circuits through analogies"but unfortunately I have no cradit card.I am from Lahore,Pakistan

Water analogy also applies quite okay to capacitors and inductors, so AC is covered too. Impedance matching and transistors (not that well) are also covered.

Such analogies are good IMO and have their merits. Electronics doesn't have to be unnecessarily abstract.

omnispace

Joined Jul 25, 2007
There are a couple problems with the water analogy. First of all, what is flowing in an electric circuit? Yes, the electrons are moving, but if you calculate their speed, you will find they are moving extremely slow (How slow? Like cold molasses. That slow.).

However, electricity is not slow at all. It travels at the speed of light. Energy is transferred by electrons "bumping" into other electrons and passing along their energy. So the analogy kind of falls apart at this point.

The worst thing I've seen, is when some clueless professor tries to put some water pump questions on an Electric Circuits test, followed by confusing and contradictory multiple choice answers.