Electricity an water do not mix

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yes but a young teenager is not eligible. I foresee a huge lawsuit. How have you been Joe?Long time no see.

A 5VDC power supply should have been safe.
One possible scenario is that the power supply was connected to an extension chord, and this fell into the water somehow. And I agree, it's a little too cruel to consider a Darwin Award for a child.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is also part of the DarwinAwards site rule set. Only exception I've heard was a teen who snorted Raid to get high.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Not bad Wendy. I was up at Bigbby Coffee the other day picking up some coffee beans, then I hit the Billiard Den in Richardson to check out the snooker tables for an event this summer. How have you been? I know it's been about 7 years since that hamcom.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I’ll be curious to hear the details. Where I live, switches and receptacles have to be too far from the tub for this to happen. But I also don’t see how reaching for a phone while in the tub would be fatal.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Just saw a local news story on this.
The charger was plugged in to an extension cord.
Interview with momma where she admitted everyone in the family played on their phone in the bathroom in this way.
The video roll in the home showed the bathroom and a phone near the sink. The outlet visible in the video was a GFCI type, which leaves me wondering how this happened.
Law suit against the electrician if it was installed wrong?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
GFI outlets do fail on their own -had it happen, probably from nearby lightning strikes. That's why there are TEST buttons on them. Maybe they should be made such that they whut off every 30 days unless tested. That would be annoying but it might save lives.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Just saw a local news story on this.
The charger was plugged in to an extension cord.
Interview with momma where she admitted everyone in the family played on their phone in the bathroom in this way.
The video roll in the home showed the bathroom and a phone near the sink. The outlet visible in the video was a GFCI type, which leaves me wondering how this happened.
Law suit against the electrician if it was installed wrong?
Sad story of people tempting fate. I deal with hi-voltage/power systems cooled by direct contact with de-ionized water daily. Pure de-ionized water is a very good insulator with better than 10 million ohm-cm being typical. The GFCI works with ground faults, if the hot and neutral from a extension cord were both in bath water the normal current path is present so there might be no or very little ground current to cause a trip but it's more likely an electrical wiring problem or defective GFCI.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm going to speculate that current in the water was not the main factor, that this was not the toaster-in-the-tub scenario. I'd bet it was a hot phone, caused by using a cheap charger as we have seen before, being touched by a well grounded human in the tub. All the current goes through the human. But maybe we'll see if more details emerge.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
When I read the headline for that article, I found it difficult to believe.

Sadly, it was someone doing something dumb. Even if there was a GFCI, it's dumb to tempt fate.

Sometimes, you just need to put down the phone...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
"Electricity an water do not mix""

They can mix. I work with subsea electric tools every day. All kinds of physical and procedural safety measures are implemented but still I find the unpredictability of underwater current path disconcerting, should any electrons escape their confines.

GFCI, anyone?o_O:rolleyes:

And I agree, it's a little too cruel to consider a Darwin Award for a child.
And I would say that the Darwin Awards are as cruel, mean spirited, and, I daresay, hypocritical, as it gets - right across the board! -- That said, a fourteen year old should have known better!

Sincere kudos to the family on their correct attribution of the tragedy to the present gaping dearth of common sense education!

Best regards
HP

GFI outlets do fail on their own -had it happen, probably from nearby lightning strikes. That's why there are TEST buttons on them.
Exactly! But then any assumption of correct installation is likely optimistic onto delusional these days:rolleyes: Even so, I can, by no stretch of logic or fancy, envision exercise of that extremity negligence by an (apparently 'high-functioning') fourteen year old!:confused:o_O

Best regards
HP

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Thailand has a very low rate of electrical safety awareness. Stories of electrocutions are very common. Our housekeeper once destroyed a GFI box I had connected to my electric lawnmower when mowing the lawn by dragging it though a water puddle in the middle of a rainstorm. Nobody had explained it to her.

At the same time, people around here are very fast to put their cell phones at a distance at the sound of approaching thunder.

Well, now we know where the stupidity comes from...
I feel the parents were but a 'way station' Re: said ignorance -- IMO contemporary society (with emphasis upon the tawdry media-centric aspects thereof) is the 'origin' of same:rolleyes:...

Best regards
HP

Last edited: