Electricity an water do not mix

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I think many of us go thru stupid periods thru-out our lives. I think many go un-noticed....and we skate by in complete ignorance.

And many, like this one......could have been prevented with a pair of outside eyes.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Some things you just can't prevent. People nowadays are tied to their mobile phones as if thev are connected umbilically. They can't live without them. Two of my granddaughters have had their mobile phones taken away by their parents because of misuse. How on earth did we manage to survive 50 years ago without mobile telephones or even landline phones?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
SMOD is beginning to appeal to me in a most disturbing way. As a species we may be long overdue for a dose of chlorine in the old gene pool.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
19-year-old dies from electrical current in water at Put-In-Bay marina

Just happened locally. The family dog was in the water and in distress so the father jumped in and immediately was in distress. Then his two sons jumped in and at this point other boaters were screaming to the mother to unplug the shore power. Later the shore power was checked and found to be fine (no ground or other faults) leaving only the boat. Obviously something was not OK. Put in Bay is on an isl;and off the Ohio north coast in Lake Erie a fresh water lake. They claim in fresh rather than salt water the path to ground is much larger. When things go wrong they can really go wrong.

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
This was on youtube trending
There was a guy walking on a beach in Southern California a few years ago on Christmas Day as I recall. He was using his phone while walking and walked off a slope and killed himself.

It's sad that he died doing something stupid; at least he's no longer a danger to others...

Last week, I was driving in heavy traffic on the highway and noticed that the lady in the car behind me was weaving in her lane and waving her left hand. I thought she was having a mental issue. When traffic stopped and she got closer, I could see that she was talking on her phone. That's a traffic violation in my area. Fortunately, she was paying enough attention to driving that she didn't rear end me. Until she came to a full stop, I was standing on my brake pedal to minimize any impact to the car in front of me.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
My experience is that mobile phones have made people rude.

People who think they can talk/text on their smartphone and walk/drive at the same time are blissfully ignorant.
It is a demonstrable fact that certain usage of modern technology alters human behaviour and brings out the worst in human personalities. The personal phone is certainly one of them. There is certain amount of freedom, power and anonymity that came with the good aspects of the following:
  • personal phone
  • CB radio (in its heydays)
  • internet forums, chat rooms, comments
  • private automobiles

One of my biggest beefs is aggressive drivers who tailgate, cut you off, weave in and out of traffic at high speeds, and want to get ahead with total disregard of other traffic on the road.

Would the same persons be rude enough to barge their way in a queue or stand right behind you breathing down your neck?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Would the same persons be rude enough to barge their way in a queue or stand right behind you breathing down your neck?
Yes, some of them would. The stress of air travel brings it out in people. Some of the rudest behavior I've ever seen anywhere was in airports.

One of the big contributing factors to rude behavior is anonymity. It's one of the great freedoms of the internet, the freedom to hide behind an anonymous facade, but it has a downside. Where I live we have one of those neighborhood group website systems. People ask for advice on local contractors, report lost pets or suspicious activities in the area, that sort of thing. People hold back on what they say - I know I do - because they know their neighbors are watching. It's incredibly dull, but very civil. The internet could use a bit more of that.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
GFI outlets do fail on their own -had it happen, probably from nearby lightning strikes. That's why there are TEST buttons on them. Maybe they should be made such that they whut off every 30 days unless tested. That would be annoying but it might save lives.
Save lives from electrocution but kill people from food poisoning - outlets in unfinished basements have to be gfci - how many freezers would be getting warm each month?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.1077yesfm.com/story/3589...o-be-the-cause-of-lubbock-teens-electrocution
New México -

A Lubbock teen was killed in New Mexico after a fatal electrocution while bathing.

Lovington Police have concluded 14-year-old Madison Coe's Samsung S6 Edge cell phone was never actually immersed in water.

The particular extension cord connected to her phone charger had a frayed area. The teen came into contact with this frayed area while in the tub resulting in her electrocution.

Her parents have allowed Coe's last text message she sent to be released to the media.

They hope releasing this screenshot to the public will raise awareness of the dangers of combining electricity, water and portable electronic devices.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Yes, some of them would. The stress of air travel brings it out in people. Some of the rudest behavior I've ever seen anywhere was in airports.

One of the big contributing factors to rude behavior is anonymity. It's one of the great freedoms of the internet, the freedom to hide behind an anonymous facade, but it has a downside. Where I live we have one of those neighborhood group website systems. People ask for advice on local contractors, report lost pets or suspicious activities in the area, that sort of thing. People hold back on what they say - I know I do - because they know their neighbors are watching. It's incredibly dull, but very civil. The internet could use a bit more of that.
Actually, mass transit is the biggest venue for rude behavior.

Anyone who's ridden on an overcrowded bus or rail car is familiar with the experiment about cramming more and more rats in a cage until it reaches the point where they start killing each other. I used to work for San Francisco's transit agency and we kept in continuous contact with the control center via a two way radio. About 1/4 of the communications were between drivers and operators and transit police about some kind of altercation on board a vehicle.

In fact, just search Youtube for "Altercations On Mass Transit" and you'll see why people don't want to get out of their cars and ride the bus or trains.