Electrical and Electronic Engineering vs Computer Engineering

hitmen

Joined Sep 21, 2008
Can anyone comment on the difference between these 2? I am transferring into EEE as I cant handle programming.

Does EEE final year have to do much programming? Also, my comp engineering course has microprocessor programming which is not covered in EEE. Am I missing out on anything?:(

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Can anyone comment on the difference between these 2? I am transferring into EEE as I cant handle programming.

Does EEE final year have to do much programming? Also, my comp engineering course has microprocessor programming which is not covered in EEE. Am I missing out on anything?:(
Today, many engineering designs involve a blend of software and hardware. The engineers that I believe are most successful are those with a firm grasp on both software and hardware engineering disiplines.

hgmjr

kakin

Joined Mar 24, 2009
Electronic engineering does have some programming, especially for micro controller, memory and other kinds of devices, but nothing as complex as what you'd find in computer engineering programming.

Can't say about the specific course your going into, but here it does have a lot of digital, so we do spend some time with programmable IC's.

BTW, when choosing what to study, go for what feels right, not for what seems easier. Good luck :)

scythe

Joined Mar 23, 2009
It's my understanding that the two are almost synonymous, as in, there are people who graduate with EE's who go to work as computer engineers and vice versa. If you are planning on going to graduate school to do some kind of specific research for a career, then you would want to figure out which one you want to be, EE or CompE.

At any rate, find your department adviser and ask him or her about it. It basically comes down to what you want to do more of. I can tell you now though, BOTH do quite a good deal of programming.

EDIT: FYI, Computer Engineering is not the same thing as Computer Science. As far as degrees go...

hitmen

Joined Sep 21, 2008
BTW, when choosing what to study, go for what feels right, not for what seems easier. Good luck :)
What feels right is also what is easier for me.:) I am more willing to fiddle with electronics then going crazy over a program that does not compile.

hitmen

Joined Sep 21, 2008
Electronic engineering does have some programming, especially for micro controller, memory and other kinds of devices, but nothing as complex as what you'd find in computer engineering programming.

Can't say about the specific course your going into, but here it does have a lot of digital, so we do spend some time with programmable IC's.

I should ask a more specific question. If I intend to work under telecommunications, is there lots of programming?

scythe

Joined Mar 23, 2009
I think that telecommunications is a broad field as well. Telecommunications as in satellite networks? Fiber optic relays? Computer network protocol? You might be better off talking with an engineering faculty member to get a better idea. Short of that, enroll in a few courses and see if you like what they teach.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
What feels right is also what is easier for me.:) I am more willing to fiddle with electronics then going crazy over a program that does not compile.
You just answered your own question. You want to move toward electrical engineering more than computer engineering. Electrical engineering is very broad and you can totally avoid programming, computers or even digital systems if you really want to. Not that I'm recommending that, but you have more options with EE, and you could even move into physics from there.