electric motors for lift

Nelsonsscience

Joined Dec 29, 2015
I'm looking for information on electric motors for lifting just the same way helicopters are. I'm probably looking more into a Chinook style. My main goal right now is to see what electric motor keep 100 lbs in the air.

Nelsonsscience

Joined Dec 29, 2015
I know the prop I'll be using will also play a role in this power to wei g ht ratio but this is just starting out what it will take to lift a person in the air.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
As this is a site for electronics, and not aerodynamics, you would most likely need to figure out how much power it would take to lift your aircraft, then ask us to help select a motor. I doubt anyone here can specify the motor parameters for an unspecified aircraft.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If I had to guess I would say your little drone would easily cost into the 10s of thousands of US dollar to build since a relatively small drone can easily cost in the thousands of US dollars.

And in addition if you are asking how to lift 100 pounds on an electronics forum, you have no idea what would be invoked in building such an aircraft and probably no buiness trying to build one.

Unless of course you mean one of these. And that is still a difficult task.

Nelsonsscience

Joined Dec 29, 2015
I'm on several different forums at the moment but I'm really just shooting a net in the water and looking to see what I get lol. I know what I'm thinking will cost alot and trial and error but ducked flight is something that always caught my attention. But I was hoping to get 100 lbs of lift from each rotor. Like a quadricopter. I haven't dug into what electronics are needed to power the motors yet but I know every bit of this won't be easy or cheap. And what I'm wanting from this is it needs to be capable of lifting a full grown man say 170-200 lbs in the air plus structurel frame and electronics on board. Not fly but able to hover is all.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not too recently I have seen several videos on FB (You Tube) showing people making personal lifters out of drone motor (and props). They use quite a few (80?) props/motors tied to a common frame.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Way back when, a friend of mine made a lifter from two half-horse vacuum motors for the science fair. It lifted three to four people a couple inches.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The ones I've seen (multiple) have lifted people quite high. They were conservative for fear of their safety.

Nelsonsscience

Joined Dec 29, 2015
Those look neat! But I'm looking for a less of a catistroffic failure for when I do fail. Failure is learning where you overlooked. Iv given edf a looking into and I find a lot of mixed reviews about them