Electric Motor Need help sourcing...

SolomonMan

Joined Jan 24, 2012
All,
I have a;

Euroka M6418-1201
120 Volts, 60Hertz

Motor that is in a household popcorn large maker (movie house looking one)...It has been a faithful servant till the last time I plugged it in and no dice...Ran fine the last time I used it...I traced the voltage to the motor and its 120 volts right to the transformer...I tried it outside the load (gear section) and still no dice...Not sure how to test the transformer exactly...

Does anyone know of where to source a replacement...and exactly what kind of motor is this exactly...I have seen them in a few appliances.

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Transformer? Are you referring to the windings on the motor? With the motor disconnected from the rest of the circuit, use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between the two wires.

Not really a lot that can go wrong with a shaded pole induction motor electrically. Not too uncommon for the bushings (bearings), to run dry and cause excessive drag. Get a little oil on them.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I agree.
Looks like you are referring to the stator, about the only thing that can go wrong is the sintered bronze bearings, one possible cure it to soak them overnight in kerosene and drain and then re-soak in light oil.
If it has seized for while it may have overheated and shorted a winding.
Check the winding for dark spots.
Max.

SolomonMan

Joined Jan 24, 2012
All,
I will check for a short across the windings.....

I am wondering if it somehow got bound up and burned up...

On the bearing any specific oil?

Thanks
Chris

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
If the winding failed, it most likely failed open. But then again, most of these types of motors are 'impedance protected' and even with a locked rotor do not draw enough current to cause a failure.

Use a light machine oil or sewing machine oil.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The ones I have seen fail are wound with relatively large gauge and the cause has been short circuits after the bearing dried up, they just sit there getting very hot!
3 in 1 oil is good, a good soak over night..
Max.