Electric fence tester

Rufuss

Joined Apr 19, 2022
Hi people. I've had an old Kilovolt meter kicking around and i have decided to have a go at making a fence tester. I tried it today but only getting a small deflection of about 3kv when it should be reading about 9? I've soldered 10 resistors in series to get the 1600 ohms external resistance it needs and placed them in a plastic tube. It's very amatuerish but thought i'd have a go....

Attachments

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
I would think a string of resistors with a neon would make a good indictor; failing that, your body (similarly protected by high resistance) will give you a direct indication of whether there is a regular high voltage output pulse.

Rufuss

Joined Apr 19, 2022
I would think a string of resistors with a neon would make a good indictor; failing that, your body (similarly protected by high resistance) will give you a direct indication of whether there is a regular high voltage output pulse.
Might pass on the second option.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Here is a typical example of a resistor string with neon lamps.

Electric Fence Circuit.png
Something to note is not only the resistor values but the wattage. Personally I would make R1 & R2 two watt carbon and R3 through R8 one watt resistors.

Also most electric fence circuits are as Max pointed out, Pulsed.

The analog meter movement in the first post does say Use External Resistance but I don't see the full scale current on the meter face. I guess it could be found applying a current source and noting when it achieved FS.

Ron