election day in my country

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
today is national and local election for government officials here in my country.

here's my question, how would you vote it you don't like the present crop of qualified and known political candidates? would you rather not vote or vote for the unknown with no political track record?

moz

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
sorry i m from different country but,
the democracy of India is the largest written ever,
i have heard there is a rule in our country if someone does not wishes to vote for
any of the corrupt candidates he may simply go to election booth and declare
that he wishes to vote for nobody,
if these nobody votes become majority it leads to cancellation of the candidature of each of the contesting politicians in that region and a repolling is done. this rule is referred to as 49-0 rule.
however this rule is kept away from the knowledge of common ppl by the scheming politicans so cant say for sure , will try it myself in coming elections.

edit: did i mentioned the 'refused' candidates can not participate further ^_^ v

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I have always wanted a "None Of The Above" box. If a majority of voters fills that in, all of the candidates are barred from further political participation and an entirely new slate of candidates have to be brought forth.

It's a bit of a crap shoot with any candidate.

Good luck.

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Unfortunately people follow the common sense logic that if you vote for the guy who has no chance of winning, your vote essentially becomes nullified(which unfortunately you have to go by if you are being realistic). Unfortunately there is no way to avoid this, so, at least for me, you have to vote for the lesser of the two evils. I'm going to vote for the best person that has a decent chance of winning. Notice how I kept saying unfortunately?

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
unfortunately here in my country so many electoral reforms have been suggested but the politicians who are presently sitted are foot dragging on those issues becoz it they address those issues they themselves will get hit by that reforms. by having a lousy system they remain in power. an example of that is "political dynasty" here we have a senators son who is a congressman, a governor in their province and a mayor in their city. Can you beat that? they control everything from top to bottom. would you believe that there are 119 families that control the politcal arena here?

moz

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i think when it comes to politics we all have a common feeling of hatred and distrust towards the despicable politicians.
the political scenario is more or less same everywhere,
in US,India the father son/daughter trends just dont say die. it all runs in the family.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Vote for Cthulhu. Why settle for the lesser evil? :cool:

More and more I find myself voting against one candidate rather than for the person who's name I check. Its just so rare to find some candidate who will stand up for principles instead of cowtowing to special interest. Many of them try to talk a good story, but they have no substance.

That's why I vote for fools and clowns. They may be inept, but they're not as bad as who they run against. I didn't vote for DubYah, I voted against Gomer Pyle. I think we're a micron or two ahead because of it.
:(

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Wonderful idea about Cthulhu, but the slogan "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" (In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming) lacks a certain snap - like how do you pronounce it? There may be citizenship issues, too. Taking the oath of office on the Necronomicon may be problematic as well.

I think we all wish for a candidate worth voting for, rather than having to select somebody in order to vote against the biggest turkey.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
In the UK, we have neither compulsary voting nor a NOTA option. Luckily I have always found that there is a candidate that I have wanted to vote for, but if there wasn't I believe it is my right (duty) to register my dissatifaction. Therefore, I would go to vote and spoil my paper.

Dave