Educational hindsite..

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
I have an associates Degree in Electronics.. Received it like in the 80's, when I graduated I did manage to get one job working at Precision Lamp Co, they made mini lights for watches and stuff, but they hired the wrong person, they needed someone with experience, I was fresh out of school and needed practical training(still do), after they fired me, I applied at several different other companies, but the hiring process was too slow, I had custody of my 2yr old daughter, my priorities were to keep a roof over her head, so after applying at every electronics company in the area, I submitted apps at non electronics companies.. they called first.. fast forward 30 yrs, never got another job in electronics..

My question, would the Associates Degree really have helped? or was I just wasting my time looking for work with an associates? i have noticed that most of the electronic guru's have higher degree's, is that by design or just cause they are better qualified? I did not get very many interviews, I think I only had three out of the 50 or so companies I applied to, call me.

how much is schooling applicable to real world electronics jobs? is there a disconnect between schooling and real world application of that training? (other than the actual knowledge received)
What shortcuts, tips, whatever, have you learned from real life, that they did not teach in school?

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have an associates Degree in Electronics.. Received it like in the 80's, when I graduated I did manage to get one job working at Precision Lamp Co, they made mini lights for watches and stuff, but they hired the wrong person, they needed someone with experience, I was fresh out of school and needed practical training(still do), after they fired me, I applied at several different other companies, but the hiring process was too slow, I had custody of my 2yr old daughter, my priorities were to keep a roof over her head, so after applying at every electronics company in the area, I submitted apps at non electronics companies.. they called first.. fast forward 30 yrs, never got another job in electronics..

My question, would the Associates Degree really have helped? or was I just wasting my time looking for work with an associates? i have noticed that most of the electronic guru's have higher degree's, is that by design or just cause they are better qualified? I did not get very many interviews, I think I only had three out of the 50 or so companies I applied to, call me.

how much is schooling applicable to real world electronics jobs? is there a disconnect between schooling and real world application of that training? (other than the actual knowledge received)
What shortcuts, tips, whatever, have you learned from real life, that they did not teach in school?
The first two years of electrical engineering (any engineering) consists of calculus and higher math (two-full years), physics and usually chemistry (one year each) technical writing and various general education classes.

The core classes are two to three years and have high expectation - most colleges publish the curriculum, you can look online. Most also let the student have an emphesis in a sub-category.

Even then, their first years on the job are on-the-job-training. Luckily, they have a deeply rooted background in calculus and physics to understand what ever is thrown at them.

An associates degree is generally a technician job (repair, set-up, tech support, ...). I say normally because, there are always exceptions. People do learn on the job and some people go the extra mile to pull out textbooks and teach themselves and ask questions and attend company-paid classes or what ever. We have a chemist at work that has a chemist title but no formal education after highschool. However, he will have trouble getting a job at any other company without the paper in hand.

Good luck.

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
I actually started at Heald College, got all the way to the last year, but it was a small college and I had gotten a job with them as janitor, they kicked me out when I got accused of stealing someone's purse, I did not, and they would not believe me.(the story of my life!) I finished my education at the local community college.
for the record, I am 52 and not interested in any 'Job', 30 yrs and 60 jobs have taken their toll..(I think the ADHD got in the way a lot, was more concerned with honesty and truth, than kissing ppls butts..)
but OP question has always been there.
I think I would have done better with a company like you described, of the jobs I did manage to keep, I worked my way up the chain till someone got jealous and created difficulties (see 'story of my life') actually had one boss tell me the only reason he was firing me because he was afraid I would get his job.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I think as like most things, luck has something to do with it.
When I got out of school IBM was hiring for a new plant in Colorado so there were lots of openings. It was at the beginning of their 360 systems.
I worked my tail off and got a good reputation and got recruited for a job in engineering (I was in manufacturing). I managed to solve a pretty serious problem that got me more recognition and a job with a spin off. I had a good mentor there. Never looked back. But it all could have been very different without a few things over which I really had no control. All I could do was my best - the rest was luck.

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I think success at most jobs requires ongoing talent, hard work, and good luck. Some people move up with only two out of three, but the really successful have all three, at least part of the time. Very few sustain all three for an entire career.

As to the OP's initial question, it is my opinion that degrees can sometimes get you in, but they can't keep you there...except in academia.