Edit while adding a Quote? doesn't exist.

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
One incovenience I have noticed while using the forum is that there is no feature that allows you to add a quote while editing your last post. The editing feature, which I use quite often for making corrections to my OWN post for mispelled words and/or details that I accidentally left out, doesn't allow me to include a quote while doing so. I found it was necessary to fully delete my last message and start all over again before I could add a quote. At least that is sucessful. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining; I guess it'll never be added to the editing feature, so I'm not worried 'bout it, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
BTW, if you click on my blogs (the number after blog entries) I have the BB Codes linked, among other things.

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
I was referring to the blue block quote, and not the one with the text characters "". Normally, I know you can always hit the quote button on someone's reply to echo back what they said that was important, but doing so winds up creating an all NEW message instead of adding the quote to the one you just got through posting a minute or so ago. That's what your most recent message's edit button is for, but if I'm not mistaken, there's no option under the Edit button that allows you to add a block quote AFTER hitting the Edit button. :)

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
One incovenience I have noticed while using the forum is that there is no feature that allows you to add a quote while editing your last post. The editing feature, which I use quite often for making corrections to my OWN post for mispelled words and/or details that I accidentally left out, doesn't allow me to include a quote while doing so. I found it was necessary to fully delete my last message and start all over again before I could add a quote. At least that is sucessful. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining; I guess it'll never be added to the editing feature, so I'm not worried 'bout it, but I just thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for the feedback StephenDJ. This is a limitation of the vBulletin software that doesn't allow for automatically adding quotes to edited posts; you are forced to add them when creating a new reply.

Bill is right though, you can use the QUOTE-tags to manually add a quote. The QUOTE-tags syntax is:

[ QUOTE ]<Write quote here>[ /QUOTE ]

Remove the spaces from between the parenthesis.

You can also add a name of who you are quoting:

[ QUOTE=Dave ]Dave wrote this[ /QUOTE ]

Gives:

Dave said:
Dave wrote this
This might be a question for a different thread, but what are BB codes?
BB-code are the codes permitted to add almost any type of formatting to your posts: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

Please feel free to bookmark this link for future reference. If you can't find it Bill has bookmarked it in his blog.

Dave

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
Thank you so much, Dave. This information is invaluable to the advanced user and will greatly help improve my online presence here as I write messages. I definitely will bookmark it.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Thank you so much, Dave. This information is invaluable to the advanced user and will greatly help improve my online presence here as I write messages. I definitely will bookmark it.
No problems Stephen. Most of the formatting options are available automatically from the formatting-toolbar on the Reply to Thread screen.

If you use the WYSIWYG editor the formatting is automatically displayed, like it is in a word processor, however you can change the editor to a basic text editor where the BB-codes are all displayed. It is down to the user as to which one is most suitable for them.

One of the more complex BB-code features we have is the LaTeX editor, select the Ʃ button from the formatting-toolbar, this allows you to put all manner of complex mathematical equations into your posts.

Dave