Eddy Current motor runs too hot

thunderrider

Joined Apr 17, 2015
I have a eddy current motor that runs too hot. I know by nature, they run hot but should not be cooking a roast in lighting speed.
Does anybody know how to tune the drive boards to correct the over heating?
What I have is a Dynamatic - mutuatrol drive boards that have a clutch and brake out put to motor. There is a dancer controlled pot and a operator controlled dancer positioning pot. The dancer positioning pot is an offset to allow the operator have some control of the position the dancer is riding while to material is running through the winder.
The boards have zero adjust, position bias, current damping, velocity damping, and current feed back pots as adjustments for the outputs to clutch and brake.
I believe that there is some overlap of the clutch and brake outputs being on at the same time causing the over heating. I just seem to be unable to get this dialed in.
There maybe some other reasons that cause the over heating that I am not aware of......
Thanks for any help you may have to offer.
Bob

thunderrider

Joined Apr 17, 2015
Mostly brake .
Motor is running high amps too.
That's what makes me believe it's a braking issue.
Just not sure what pot to turn to decrease braking voltage.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Purely guessing (I have no practical experience of the Dynamatic system), since brake and clutch are current-controlled devices, the 'current feedback pot' seems the most likely to be worth a twiddle. Isn't there an instruction manual?

thunderrider

Joined Apr 17, 2015
Thanks for the input....

I have found with a little trial and error that adjusting the position bias, velocity damping and current damping worked out.
The position bias adjusted to proportions of brake / clutch . The velocity damping, the rate of dancer adjustment and position while the current damping corrected the oscillating between brake and clutch and smoothing out the dancer movement to a nice steady position.
The motor amps dropped by more than half and motor is running cooler. the braking end is still sorta hot but no more cooking lunch on it.