e-bike charging

kuma goroshi

Joined Jun 20, 2020
Hi guys, I have an e-bike that I want to be able to charge when there is no 110 voltage available and I don't want to run a generator for seven or eight hours. I thought I could use a couple of deep cell marine batteries connected to an inverter and plug the charger into that, but I've got tone going off on the inverter and I don't want to ruin a $600 battery if I don't have the right setup. The bike battery is 750w, 48v, 30A. Can I do this with batteries and an inverter of the right size?

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
You have not supplied enough information to answer the question.

You need to know the Ah capacity of the bike battery and the input power rating of the bike charger. Allowing for losses in the inverter, your marine batteries should have an energy capacity of at least 120% of the bike battery – 200% would be better allowing for the fact that the marine batteries may not always be fully charged. You then need an inverter that can supply the rated input power of the charger.

kuma goroshi

Joined Jun 20, 2020
You have not supplied enough information to answer the question.

You need to know the Ah capacity of the bike battery and the input power rating of the bike charger. Allowing for losses in the inverter, your marine batteries should have an energy capacity of at least 120% of the bike battery – 200% would be better allowing for the fact that the marine batteries may not always be fully charged. You then need an inverter that can supply the rated input power of the charger.
Thanks for replying, Hymie. The bike battery is rated at 11.6 ah and the charger input is AC100-240v 50/60Hz -2.0A. I have two Marine batteries that say:
130@20 HR
105AH@ 5 HR
225 min.@25amp
57 min.@75amp
and two batteries from a diesel truck that say 1000 cranking amps. The inverter say input 12v DC 50A, Output 120 VAC 60 Hz 410 w, and USB 5 v 2.0A. I don't know that much about electronics, but thought I might need a different inverter if the batteries can do the job and I can get a few charges out of them. I have a generator but I can't see coming back to camp at night and running it for seven or eight hours, which is what it takes to charge the bike from a 110 outlet at home.