Dynaco hummer

DynaKarl

Joined Jan 14, 2015
A "newbie" needs help that I hope is out there!
I have a Dynaco S70 amp that hums when on alone and when connected with a PAS 2 preamp. The hum is independent of volume knob position. Tubes are fairly new.
When turntable leads are added, the hum is stronger and gets stronger as volume is increased.

Is there any clever circuitry device to filter out hum? -- and not lose 60/120 cycles in music coming from the turntable? And not too pricey?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You appear to have two problems:

One is the hum which is independent of the volume. That may be due to a faulty filter capacitor in the power supply. You can parallel the caps with an external cap of similar size to see if it changes the hum. If so, then you need to replace the caps.

The other appears to be a ground loop problem with the turntable. That involves examination of the ground scheme for the turntable to see where the loop may be.
If the turntable uses a three-prong cord, that could be a source of the loop. You could try a ground isolator plug to see if that helps.
Another thing to try is to remove the ground connection from one end of one of the shielded cables to eliminate that as a possible loop.
Also you might try a direct ground wire from the turntable chassis to the amp chassis.

Good luck.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have seen and witnessed this effect first hand.
The client's room lights were on a light dimmer. Turning off the lights made the hum vanish completely.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M General Electronics Chat 0