Dyed Epoxy using various pigments

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
was testing two dying materials, red powder coat powder, and orange chalk line chalk.

both needed about 1/4tsp to deeply dye 10cc of clear epoxy. chalk was just a tad harder to mix in well.

the plastic powders can carry static charge into the epoxy, so for potting i would shuffle the amount needed around on a metal plate before mixing into an epoxy that is used for potting, also use a metal stick for mixing.

with two std #12awg wires taped together (1/8" between wire centers) 240vac(rms) showed zero uA.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Boat stores have pigments for coloring epoxy and polyester resins.

As for the static, pre-mix with a little alcohol, which is generally miscible with epoxy.

John

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
so just an fyi, need to be careful with dyes in general, some colors can be metals based. i need to do some dielectric testing of Rit.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Most "metal" dyes will be an oxidized form of the metal (i.e., a "valence" ≥ 1 ). Some of those oxides are good insulators (e.g, aluminum); some are good conductors (e.g., lead). You will not find lead in any dye made in the USA. If it has a metal, I would not rule it out based on that alone without checking what the conductivity of that metal compound was. I suspect most Rit dyes are not based on metals.

John