Dvr with usb memory stick or SD card

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Hello
Is there a DVR that has event timer that use usb memory stick or sd card to save what is recorded?
Since most companys are not making VCR anymore.
Maybe there dvr that can do same thing as vcr ,since VCR are out date equipment.
mrel

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
It's nearly impossible to find a DVR that will record something you can play back on something else. I tried a few years ago to find a DVR I could hook up to my TV Antenna. Was disappointed to learn that the only thing out there was some kind of video capture unit (don't remember exactly what it was called) and that it was in the thousands of dollars range. The whole Idea behind cutting the cable was to get away from those high cable and satellite bills. Video Capture (VC) is something gamers like to have to record their games and play them back and learn from them.

I took an old DVR that someone had at a yard sale and soon discovered that nothing in my arsenal could play back the video that was recorded on that DVR. I later learned that there's some proprietary programming in them that doesn't allow you to take - say, something like "Dish TV" and play it back through "DirecTV".

I DO have an HDDVR recorder in my hidden room for my security camera(s), and it IS capable of recording audio too if I were to hook that part of it up. Still, that's a lot of money just to be able to watch some TV series that if I wait a day or two I can stream it on Amazon Fire or on Hulu or Netflix (or any number of other streaming services).

My HDDVR has its own built in hard drive and I can download my videos to a mem stick if I wish. I think that may be as close as you're going to get. Perhaps if you take one and hook it up to a tuner you can set it to record a program at a given time and have the HDDVR set to record at that specific time. So yes, you can record programming if you wish, but for my money it's far too much trouble to accomplish. Would need a digital tuner, one that can be programmed to switch to a specific channel at a specific time. At the same time have the HDDVR start recording at that given time period. Lots of work but I suppose it could be done. Then you have to down load it to your mem stick.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
If you record on a DVR you must use the Finalize feature for the DVD to be played on another player, ive dbeen doing this for several years.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This really needs to be moved to General Discussion since it is off topic.

To answer the TS's question. Setup a PVR on your PC, then you can do anything you want. I use NextPVR. Windows 7 has Windows Media Center installed.

You will need to install a tuner card. If you have cable then you might need to install a cable card too.