Dumb battery charging question

N0ctrnl

Joined Aug 14, 2009
I searched and searched but couldn't find anything that answered what I need, so please forgive me if it's there and I just missed it.

I have 3 batteries (1.2v 2300mA) wired in series. If I am using a constant voltage to charge them, how would I go about calculating how long they would need to be receiving voltage before they're fully charged?

I was sure I'd seen the math to figure this before, but I can't seem to find it again.

Thanks!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You don't charge them using a constant voltage.

You charge them at a constant current until they hit the Delta V "bump". The bump is usually reflected by a change in temperature. It's very difficult to sense the bump via voltage or current; you'll usually not detect it unless you are monitoring the temperature.

Read this page: http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm

If you try to charge using a fixed voltage and your batteries are very depleted, you will likely cause damage to them.

Bosparra

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I would assume the best place to measure the temperature would be on the positive pole of the battery? Does it matter which battery is measured i.e. is it better to measure the middle battery or the last one, for instance?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I would assume the best place to measure the temperature would be on the positive pole of the battery?
In the case of automotive or marine or deep-cycle lead-acid top-post batteries, the positive terminal is generally larger; so it's the preferred place to get the battery internal temperature.

The old carbon-zinc batteries were completely enclosed by a zinc casing, except for the positive end. The casing was filled with a paste, a metal-capped carbon rod inserted in the middle, and the end sealed with some type of epoxy or plastic.

I've not disassembled a NiMH battery (nor do I recommend attempting to do so) but I'd assume that the negative (flat) end of AAA through D cells would be the better terminal to measure the internal temperature.

Does it matter which battery is measured i.e. is it better to measure the middle battery or the last one, for instance?
You don't charge them in series.
If you attempt that, you will very likely overcharge one and undercharge another.
Each cell should be charged/monitored separately.