DS3231 RTC module battery help.

avinponl

Joined Mar 26, 2019
Hi.
I've read quite a bit about the DS3231 rtc clock module being designed incorrectly for charging the button battery that's used on it as a power source backup. With the CR2032 button it used to be shipped with, these would blow up after time as these are not rechargeable and it has an included charging circuit.

others suggested replacing the battery with a rechargeable LIR2032. However it was said the circuit was also incorrect for trickle charging this too.

Can a 5.5V super capacitor be used instead? If so, what would be an acceptible farad capacity.

Also, if the cr3202's last up to a 8 years (at power down it consumes 3uA from the 210mah battery), then how long could the fully charged super capacitor run it? Does it lose voltage even when not used? Sorry for so many questions.

Hello! I have a DS3231 RTC module and im curious on what the correct battery i should use. I currently have a CR2032 lithium cell on the module and ive also read that i shouldnt use this in the long run as it might explode. I also heard LIR2032 is a better option and i was going to buy that until i read what you said about it not also working. What have you found out about these problems. Shoukd i just get the LIR2032 battery? I will be needing this RTC at school and i would very much appreciate that it not explode. Thanks!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Which module do you have? I don't see any with charging circuits. If there was one, it would probably want a NiMH coin cell since they can be triple charged indefinitely when done right.

Do you have a schematic?

Hello! I have a DS3231 RTC module and im curious on what the correct battery i should use. I currently have a CR2032 lithium cell on the module and ive also read that i shouldnt use this in the long run as it might explode. I also heard LIR2032 is a better option and i was going to buy that until i read what you said about it not also working. What have you found out about these problems. Shoukd i just get the LIR2032 battery? I will be needing this RTC at school and i would very much appreciate that it not explode. Thanks!
I also like the idea of not having them explode. You want to determine whether or not your module has a charging circuit. If it does not have a charging circuit, then either of the batteries that you mention will work.

If it does have a charging circuit, my opinion is to avoid using a CR2032. It can become a bit of a grey area, see for example, this thread from here on down https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/my-ds1307-module-drift-too-much.151410/#post-1310023

In that thread, as you can read, I disabled the charging circuit. Others have not and have not reported problems, some do report problems, but it is difficult to determine their credibility. I just figured it was easiest to remove the charging circuit and use CR2032s, which I have plenty of.