DRV8350H circuit design failure. what am i doing wrong?

Jesse22

Joined Jun 16, 2021
Hello, I've been working on this brushless motor controller for a long time now. This is version 2 as I began using a different mosfet driver DRV8350H. After soldering with a heat gun twice with two different DRV's, both don't seem respond at all despite double checking and making sure every connection was correct. I cannot tell what I'm missing here. maybe someone here might have an idea on what I might have done wrong with either my design or layout. I really just copied what the datasheet recommended. I'm truly out of options. maybe also someone might have a recommendation of an easier mosfet driver to deal with, let me know aswell. thank you!

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello, I've been working on this brushless motor controller for a long time now. This is version 2 as I began using a different mosfet driver DRV8350H. After soldering with a heat gun twice with two different DRV's, both don't seem respond at all despite double checking and making sure every connection was correct. I cannot tell what I'm missing here. maybe someone here might have an idea on what I might have done wrong with either my design or layout. I really just copied what the datasheet recommended. I'm truly out of options. maybe also someone might have a recommendation of an easier mosfet driver to deal with, let me know aswell. thank you!
We need a schematic of your design.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Do you just want to see if you can do it ???
If so that's cool,
but I would recommend just buying one.
There are many important nuances to controlling a BLDC Motor,
and getting them right can be extremely tricky.

There's a ton of them to choose from, at very reasonable prices.

jeffl_2

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You haven't really provided us with enough information. Both the DRV10970 and DRV10975 are available in packages that are a little easier to solder, but (for example) they only get you up to an 18 volt supply, whereas I think the 8350 is OK to 95 volts, and it's not as if they were "interchangeable" in other respects. Also since it is a motor driver you have a thermal dissipation issue that may require soldering a separate area onto the PCB for heat dissipation. On a related issue I recently found a "motherboard repair" shop in my area that for a fee will solder "difficult" packages like fine pitch (20 and 25 mil centers) and QFN and QFP (requiring reflow capability) onto a board for you for your prototype needs, and the quality of their work was excellent, you might try that approach.