DRUNK DRIVER'S, in car interlock systems to prevent people driving drunk.

PRASS

Joined Feb 22, 2018
G,day all,
I need a exclusive "xor", after 2 "and" gates that still has an "or" measured from the original input 2 of one of the 2 "and" gates. . .
Like a half adder
I'm creating a variable output transistor on dc without pwm & a capacitor stop without continuous flow.

This will become a component
This finite thing will determine the person giving breath is the actual person operating the vehicle.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
G,day all,
I need a exclusive "xor", after 2 "and" gates that still has an "or" measured from the original input 2 of one of the 2 "and" gates. . .
Like a half adder
I'm creating a variable output transistor on dc without pwm & a capacitor stop without continuous flow.

This will become a component in car interlock systems to prevent people driving drunk.
This finite thing will determine the person giving breath is the actual person operating the vehicle.

Many thanks in advance
Can you give us a block diagram to let us know the basic function - your words are not really doing it for me.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
These systems are not un common

https://www.breathalyzer.co.uk/inte...jhlVDogkEVKOaOIQibEbt8su3AKhLh0UaAiVPEALw_wcB

There was talk in the EU of making it mandatory at one time, that was dropped,

The "problem" with all systems is ,
how easy it is to get around

Examples of people driving, using a balloon or a friend to do the blow,
ones that plugged into the car lighter power outlet, just in plug them and you can drive

Also questions of "what to do in case of false positive"
is the car immobilised till a good result, or for a given period, or till "reset" by some one else ( phone call ? )

The technology is relatively simple,
its the implications and implementation thats difficult to sort out

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
DRUNK DRIVER'S, in car interlock systems to prevent people driving drunk.

Commonly called a "Blow N' Go" which come in several flavors. Recognition can be a fingerprint reader like those on smart phones to more complex and expensive systems like an optical scanner. We have electronic measures and electronic countermeasures. When a measure is put in place you can figure a countermeasure will soon follow. RADAR used to detect speeding motorist followed by RADAR detectors for motorist and we watched that escalate. In new designs my department head would always ask me to make a design foolproof and I would always reply that was impossible because fools are very ingenious people. Simply put nothing is foolproof. :)

Ron

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I was asked to make something "fool proof" , and they ended up trying to be put into the design spec we were to be marked against and paid.

I ended up asking over a coffee , btw , can they provide the specification of the fool I'm to design against
we won the contract and got paid,

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Every time I see something about drunk driving I am reminded of a study that claimed more lives were lost policing drunk driving than drunk drivers kill every year. Basically more lives are lost pulling people over etc. Interestingly cops made up a large part of the lives lost. Primarily because other drivers would hit them on the side of the road when pulling suspected drunk drivers over and administering sobriety tests!

Good luck with your project.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Every time I see something about drunk driving I am reminded of a study that claimed more lives were lost policing drunk driving than drunk drivers kill every year. Basically more lives are lost pulling people over etc. Interestingly cops made up a large part of the lives lost. Primarily because other drivers would hit them on the side of the road when pulling suspected drunk drivers over and administering sobriety tests!

Good luck with your project.
This just didn't comport with my understanding of the situation, so I had another look.

"Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This is one death every 50 minutes." —CDC, Impaired Driving: Get the Facts

"There were 58 officers killed in traffic-related incidents in 2021, compared to 42 during the same period last year—a 38% increase. Of the 58 traffic- related fatalities, 19 were automobile crashes involving a collision with another vehicle or fixed object, 9 were single-vehicle crashes, and 27 were struck-by fatalities." —NLEOMF, 2021 Officer Fatalities Report

Whatever you read doesn't agree with the numbers published by government agencies and organizations that track these things. It's not even close. Every day more people die from impaired drivers than officers killed by being hit in a year.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
This just didn't comport with my understanding of the situation, so I had another look.

"Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This is one death every 50 minutes." —CDC, Impaired Driving: Get the Facts

"There were 58 officers killed in traffic-related incidents in 2021, compared to 42 during the same period last year—a 38% increase. Of the 58 traffic- related fatalities, 19 were automobile crashes involving a collision with another vehicle or fixed object, 9 were single-vehicle crashes, and 27 were struck-by fatalities." —NLEOMF, 2021 Officer Fatalities Report

Whatever you read doesn't agree with the numbers published by government agencies and organizations that track these things. It's not even close. Every day more people die from impaired drivers than officers killed by being hit in a year.
Yeah if I remember correctly the study found some bad data reporting or some other details that moved the numbers. Apparently "impaired driving" is a net term for all substances and sleep deprivation. How ever I am not gonna Argue some one else's data with you.

Besides this was something spoken of over a dinner with friends so not the height of sources for social science data. If it is correct it is an interesting head water to the idea that drunk driving is this big problem. When in reality it like so many other subjects; a complex web not so easily understood by looking at distilled data.

could also be total bull****!

Mod note: please moderate your language or we will have to. This can come with consequences. one warning point given.
Wendy.
@Teljkon

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Yeah if I remember correctly the study found some bad data reporting or some other details that moved the numbers. Apparently "impaired driving" is a net term for all substances and sleep deprivation. How ever I am not gonna Argue some one else's data with you.

Besides this was something spoken of over a dinner with friends so not the height of sources for social science data. If it is correct it is an interesting head water to the idea that drunk driving is this big problem. When in reality it like so many other subjects; a complex web not so easily understood by looking at distilled data.

could also be total bullshit!
I don't believe that, given the magnitude of difference and the numbers reported by a police officer friendly source, there is any chance that policing is more deadly than the drunk drivers. It doesn't pass the smell test.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
I don't believe that........It doesn't pass the smell test.
Like I said I am not going to die on that hill. It was something mentioned in casual conversation that apparently a guy had hard data that proved this. True or not IDK. If you want to go down the rabbit hole with your time have fun tell Alice I said hello. In my experience we over blow the whole thing an it is one of those odd hypocrisy's of society. There are 1,000s of bars in my geographic area and no one seems to be walking to any them. Their parking lots are all full. So, it dose not sound so crazy to me but hey what do I know.

rpiloverbd

Joined Dec 21, 2021
Hi, aren't you allowed to use a microcontroller? If you could use an alcohol sensor (like MQ-2) with an Arduino or any other microcontroller, the task could be much easier.