Drugstore beetles selective for different types of bread

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
More hygienic than any dog or cat. Fact is most humans are irrational, and accept convention as normal even if it is not.

How about dog poo in the streets? I have heard in Pyongyang they are not allowed in the streets- for hygiene reasons. Even the south Koreans actually eat canines.

You draw problems where no problems exist- just because it is unusual to keep these critters inside the house.

I found it quite interesting the drugstore beetles leave the white toast alone. Or is it they don't make it in there (inside the slices)?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I want to have an ant farm, ideally, also living openly inside a container. But I think they would wander around in the kitchen, no matter what.

One glass confiture or a sweet cake, and they'd swarm out.

If there is no food source maybe they have little reason to wander around.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I want to have an ant farm, ideally, also living openly inside a container. But I think they would wander around in the kitchen, no matter what.

One glass confiture or a sweet cake, and they'd swarm out.

If there is no food source maybe they have little reason to wander around.
Tired of living life dictated by what is "normal"? Want to live inside a home-sized terrarium? Send 4 payments of $19.95, and we'll ensure your living terrarium is stocked full of spiders, beetles, lice, and ants. Act now and we'll throw in a puma for FREE! Afraid of ants stealing your food stores? Well, no more! Not while you fend for your life in a battle with a hungry puma! Act now!

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
One day I want to transform my space into a green jungle- with LED lights everywhere, tropical plants, and grass on the floor.

It is not so easily possible now but I have plans to do it.

Pineapples are ideal, they do not need so much light, grow slowly, and they look nice. They make perfect indoor plants with LED lights. Plus their containers can host all sort of insects including ants and pillbugs.

Not that I wanted to deal with clay pots.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The thing is, you need to be very careful and vigilant about what or who you live with.

I had a bedbug incident last year. Even though I didn't have any other visual cues other than bites on my legs and a stray bug now and then. You had to know where to look to face the size of the problem. I sadly found out.
One might argue that they wouldn't harm me, other than sucking my blood off, but can you claim that with 100% certainty?

Even living with another human person with a different lifestyle might throw your internal biological balance off.

I agree that you should "play scientist" in your house, but in order to keep yourself healthy in the long term, not do experiments on local fauna and flora.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
A few great scientists were disorganised.

But they were not great because they lived in squallor or were disorganised.

Even in the case of making scientific discoveries, the science is still done in very 'clean' conditions. How do you it's not that bug doing that cool thing - or a plethora of bacteria?

I don't understand your problem with cakes? They are perfectly healthy. Just as healthy as apples. The problems start to arise when you have too many. Too many apples can also be a problem too.

It's why junk food tastes good. Often contains lots of sugars, which are quite rare in nature. Your body wants to to get that energy, no matter what, so it makes sugars taste good, so you'll want to eat them.

Balance is the key to everything.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Takao, I had a space I called my jungle, I would pick up half dead plants

and put them in the jungle. It got to be real thick,I could do my fire ant

reseach in private. Finding ways to keep bugs is hard to do,they always

get out somehow. At a federal lab,they come in monday morning and find

break outs,they just round them up. They have G.P.S. locations on the

bug nest or location where found. The lab homes are soiless,they want

easy access for microscope.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
One day robots take over, and they will refer to us as "bugs".

These creatures are here on earth for 200 million years.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
One day I want to transform my space into a green jungle- with LED lights everywhere, tropical plants, and grass on the floor.

It is not so easily possible now but I have plans to do it.

Pineapples are ideal, they do not need so much light, grow slowly, and they look nice. They make perfect indoor plants with LED lights. Plus their containers can host all sort of insects including ants and pillbugs.

Not that I wanted to deal with clay pots.
LED's aren't quite there yet. Give em another 5 years and they will be cool. For now you need HID's or if your on a budget get CFL's.