Beetles

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Beetles ,I have posted before about behavior of beetles. They lay around

on lighted sidewalks on their backs ,they don't move if you touch them.

I put a beetle in star foam cup and put a top on it ,the next morning

I went to check the beetle ,it was gone. A little round hole as in the side

of the cup. So the beetle didn't try to fly away and let me put it the star

foam cup. Docile behavior ,fast forward to now. I entered the front door

that has a lighted porch ,no shirt on in shorts. I sit down at the table ,all

the sudden something was biting me on the leg ,there was a mild pain that

got my attention. I knocked the source of the pain away ,it was beetle.

I don't know if the beetle attached to my shorts and crawled to the top

of my leg after I set down. The question is ,if the beetle moved from my

shorts in the open why did it bite me or pinched me causing pain. It could

have just rolled to the floor like beetle behavior in the past. It was in the

open ,not in a closed space to make it aggressive. I have in the past

tried to get beetles to fly away ,move. They would just round over on

there back. Makes me wonder if you walk into a beetle flying in the dark

if there mode of behavior is different. Remember when I was going to pay

attention to there behavior my cup was empty and the beetle had

got out of a closed container. Do you feel my pain.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The beetle bit you because you had put him in a star foam cup, he was just pissed off at you. Simple as that.:)

Use Chinet brand next time.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I used to catch beetles as a kid. My dad's place out in the sticks was a good place to find them. Lots of the green shiny dung beetles. They walk backwards pushing balls of feces down into their holes. I posit that the behavior of anything that toils the day away transporting **** through the front door of their house, need not be pondered too thoroughly.

Also, there were plenty of rhinoceros beetles, up to 2" long, with great big horns. Very cool.

Delaj

Joined Aug 12, 2013
Yeah, I'd only hope you weren't putting rhino beetles in your friends pants...I can imagine how bad that would be. Haha. But yeah, they're pretty stubborn when you want them to do something they don't want to do.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Last night it was a beetle ,tonight its a triangle shape moth wearing cammies.

Tried a few things to get it to move ,now the ants are starting to touch it. The

ants may be the sub-miniature fire ants ,the ant is laying feromon trail. More ants

are showing up...more to come...as you can see I don't use spell check.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The moth ,when you want ants they won't show up, my peanut butter cracker

crumbs are untouched by ants. So if you want to get rid of ants ,invite them to

a project. In the south we have two types sugar and fire ,the sugar ants have black

bodies. The fire ants have a black and reddish appearance ,that a general statement.

The sugar ant flits around quickly ,the fire ant is slower unless excited by something.

There are sub-miniature fire ants that don't attract much attention ,I first found

them traveling up and down a orange tree. The limbs of the orange tree was dying,

at the same time the state was cutting down diseased trees. The fire ant lab for

the government confirmed the exsistance of these miniature ants and the damage

they were doing to orange trees.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Never been to Florida, but sounds strange. Orange trees? Around here they are brown with green leaves or green needles.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I have another beetle he or she was waiting by the door in the light. This time I

put it in see thru plastic water bottle. The new type that has very thin plastic.

A better chance to get out ,I will be watching ,I can tell if it moves while I post.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
2:12 a.m. my beetle is walking around the bottom of the water bottle. Standing on

his hind legs..then fail over on his back. Now he is standing with his back against the

side vertical moving all his legs at a steady pace. He gets a little traction against the

side ,enough to move up...then falls back on his back. On his trying to flip over again.

2:27 a.m.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
2:12 a.m. my beetle is walking around the bottom of the water bottle. Standing on

his hind legs..then fail over on his back. Now he is standing with his back against the

side vertical moving all his legs at a steady pace. He gets a little traction against the

side ,enough to move up...then falls back on his back. On his trying to flip over again.

2:27 a.m.
It took you 15 minutes to write that? I didn't realize what a time investment your posts represent. You make a great sacrifice to contribute your beetle stories.

Speaking of beetles falling on their backs, doesn't seem incredibly unfair that the gift of flight is bestowed upon some creatures who are too stupid to realize the benefits of it? Observe the june bug. It would be just as worthless if it couldn't fly. Wouldn't humans be more qualified to fly?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I didn't think the beetle could get out of the water container. I will have to find a

good beetle study. Maybe he could a chemical means to escape ,they have more than

physical means to get the job done.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Loosie, if you keep this up, someone will report you to the ASPCB.

(American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Bugs) :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
takao21203 Off-Topic 32