Drone controller charger mod help please

Oilhunter

Joined Nov 26, 2019
My intention is to replace drone controller batteries with a 5v power bank. So I can charge my phone and use the drone controller with the power bank rechargeable batterys.
My question is can I hook up 2 batteries in series to get the 7.2v needed to power the drone controller without damaging the power bank? Also will the the power bank charge the 2 batteries in series fully?

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
My question is can I hook up 2 batteries in series to get the 7.2v needed to power the drone controller without damaging the power bank?
It depends. The weakest cell in the 2 batteries will rundown first and be forced into polarity reversal. A relatively small reverse current to kill a battery.

BTW, this can happen in any multi-cell battery. Battery pack manufacturers match the batteries to get better performance in a pack.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Also will the the power bank charge the 2 batteries in series fully?
How can a 5V power pack charge a 2S battery (7.2V nominal)?
Charging cells in series requires a dedicated balanced charger. Lithium batteries are dangerous if not charged/discharged properly.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Each cell in a 2S pack can be charged separately from 5V by bringing out a 3rd wire. You may want to balance from that. Since you don't describe anything about the chemistry of your batteries, I am assuming you mean lithium batteries.